Templeton’s Terrors: Conjuring 2

Back to Article
Back to Article

Templeton’s Terrors: Conjuring 2

November is not the best time to watch scary movies. October has been a fun rollercoaster of horror/thriller movies, but seriously, what comes out next? Now that I cannot seem to find a movie in theaters, that means I get to pick one of my favorite older movies: The Conjuring 2.

In the movie Conjuring 2, the Hodgson family are just living their normal lives, when they begin to feel weird and get a little suspicious with all the sleepwalking and feeling that something is touching their feet every night. The only thing that the four main children want to do is fix it.  The adults want to do the same, so they call up Ed and Lorraine Warren.

The Conjuring 2’s estimated budget was $40,000,000. This is a lot compared to other horror films. The average for horror movies is about $20,000,000, although not much of a surprise because it was amazing, and it seemed as if there were a lot of special effects which, make it look real. I have seen it so many times and it gets better each time. Conjuring 2 ended up making 40,000,00 on its opening weekend. 

The movie may be good but it is definitely more of a thriller movie than a horror movie. The scare review was about 6/10. There were way too many jumps scares and it was very obvious when something was going to pop out and jump scare you, it either becomes really quiet or the music starts to become more upbeat.

The movie stuck with me but it didn’t scare me. I don’t know what it was about the movie, maybe it was the special effect, the professionalism, of even the realistic background.  This was an impressive review on IMDB with a 7.4 out of 10. It definitely had amazing actors, I was impressed with the children. The children looked very impressive and professional. Their acting was outstanding if you think about their age. 

Conjuring 2 is based on the true story of the Enfield Poltergeist. I don’t think that the movie represented the real story very well. Only certain parts for instance when she gets possessed and starts talking to the priest. That was one of the only parts that connected very well with the true story. The scenes looked real and so did the characters.

Did you know that according to IMDB, the school featured in the movie is really two different schools located next to each other? One is Enfield Grammar School and the other is Chace School for Girls, in Enfield Town Market Place. Enfield Grammar is one of the oldest secondary schools in the UK, founded in 1558. Also At the end of the first set of credits, you can hear the actual recording of Ed Warren talking to Janet in the real incident.

Overall the movie was a good movie but not a very good horror. Not very scary, but an amazing movie in general. It helps me learn about the real, true story. 

Sara Templeton, Student Life Writer

Sara Templeton is an 8th grader at Trailside Middle. She is a Student Life Writer for Trailside Times. She is a very passionate athlete who competes in...