Winter Break Coming In Like A Storm!

Back to Article
Back to Article

Winter Break Coming In Like A Storm!

The Trailside Timberwolves want Christmas sooner rather than later. Timber waits for his christmas present patiently.

Jane Harwood

Jane Harwood

Jane Harwood

Jane Harwood, Emily Kittelson, and Riley Jefferson

Winter break is coming soon and Trailside students and staff are getting excited! This is one of the best times of the year. Holidays and taking a break from all the homework and schoolwork is what makes Winter Break. The students and staff have many different holidays they celebrate and different things they do.

Many students at Trailside go out of town for Christmas or winter break. Seventh grader Charlie Hughes said “On Christmas Eve we go to my grandparents’ house, and then for Christmas we go to our cousin’s house. I really enjoy doing that and going out of town.”

There are always different traditions that family and friends practice over break or on Christmas. “We still do this, my dad records us coming down the stairs every Christmas morning. So now what you do is we all line up in age order then we will come down the stairs and he’ll ask us a question. It’s always a different question every year. That’s one of our traditions, it’s the thing I look forward to every year.” Said eighth grade science teacher Mrs. Smith.

Teachers and students are also decorating for the holidays. Mrs. Sunshine Ricketts, the library assistant at Trailside says “I put up Christmas lights and I decorate the inside and outside of my house all the way up to Christmas Eve.” Hughes also decorates for Christmas. “This year my dad wanted to dig a trench in our yard to decorate for Christmas.”

Jane Harwood
Many kids at Trailside like to get festive as the holiday season come close. There are many different ways for us to get decked out!

All kids like having break to get time off from school but they also like that they don’t have any homework so they can just relax. Some teachers agree and disagree. Mr. Scott Mitchell seventh grade math teacher said “I sometimes think that the students can have a negative impact with their school work over winter break because they tend to forget somethings over winter break that we have to reteach them or review the topic.” However Mrs. Smith eighth grade science teacher said “We do have to review the topic we were teaching but I usually give my students a worksheet to do right before they come back to school after a break so they can refresh their minds themselves.”

We asked teachers and students if winter break affects their planning schedule. “I take a break as a teacher during break because I want to visit with my family and friends and not worry about planning and schoolwork.” Said eighth grade science Mrs. Smith. Seventh grader Kaden Nickens said “I don’t really do my homework during break I’d rather just have a break with no homework.”

Emily Kittelson
Winter break this year starts Friday 15th, 3:24 and ends Tuesday January 2. Emily Kittelson has marked these special days on her calendar.

We hope you enjoy your winter break!

Jane Harwood, Student Life Writer

Jane Harwood is a 7th grader at Trailside middle school. Jane is involved in Trailside Times and  Loudoun County League Field Hockey. Some of her hobbies...

Emily Kittelson, News Writer

Emily Kittelson is a 7th grader at Trailside Middle School. Emily is athletic, plays soccer, is on a competitive cheerleading team and swims during the...