Wishing For Winter Weather

7th grader Charlie Hughes is staring out the window hoping for snow. Some kids will do things like drink maple syrup and flush ice down a toilet in hope for snow.

Sara Templeton and Molly Alonso

Pictured above is everyone’s favorite public administrations officer, Wayde Byard. It usually takes a lot of time and consideration to decide when to have snow days and 2 hour delays.

The alarm rings as you dread getting out of bed, you slam the snooze button as the phone starts to ring. You eventually drag yourself out of the bed and you pick up the phone to hear Wayde Byard tell you that you don’t have school, SNOW DAY!
Even though we have a two week winter break, most of the students and staff wants to have as many snow days as we can. Not only do you not have school, but you can spend the day playing in snow with your friends instead of going to math class. We usually only get a couple snow days a year, so most kids will make the most of it like having neighborhood wide snowball fights and sledding down the biggest hills. These wonderful times are always started with a call from Wayde Byard.
“It is not my decision,” said Wayde Byard “I am usually woken up at 4 AM, by the assistant superintendent for support services saying we have a snow day or a delay. I then call my assistant to set up the messages.” This is an early start for the information officer. They have over 20 pre recorded messages for different situations. Then after an early morning students and teachers will get that special call to spend the day sleeping in.
7th grader Jane Harwood stated “During snow days, I usually go outside and play in the snow or stay inside and watch TV.” She hopes that we will have a lot of snow days this year, but she does not think we will. She likes snow days more for the not going to school part then the actual snow part. “I’d rather have a two hour delay each day for a month than have a snow day each day for a week because I like sleeping in.” Jane has heard of doing superstitious things so it will snow, but she does not plan on doing any of them.
When people think of snow days, they usually think about how it’s affecting the kids, but we have to also think about how it is affecting to teachers
“When I want for a snow day, I usually try not to get to excited and I make sure to catch up on my grading, and also get ready just like I would any other day. ” Mr. Hallinan usually starts his snow days off by making himself a big breakfast and he spends the day playing video games and board games.
Even though snow days are very important to most of the students and staff in Loudoun County, we can not forget about the people who make them happen.
Public information officer Wayde Byard says “ The key thing about snow days is safety. As long as everyone is safe, I feel comfortable having a snow day.” Most kids and staff think that the LCPS department calls snow days a bit too much, but it’s all about safety. The Cafeteria ladies usually get on the roads at around 6 A.M so the public information office has to stay on watch almost as early as 2 A.M. Even though we have gotten off because of rain, it is important to remember that it might get a bit slippery.”
Snow days can be good or bad depending on how you look at them. You could be thinking about how the kids are missing school or you can think about how everyone gets a day to just have fun in the snow. Whether it’s a snow day or a 2 hour delay, everyone is happy to get some sort of break from school.