Get Ready For All District Band!

This+All+District+Band+performs+for+an+enthusiastic+audience+in+2017.+Many+students+wish+to+be+in+this+spot.+
This All District Band performs for an enthusiastic audience in 2017. Many students wish to be in this spot.

Zoom753

Zoom753

Megan Helge and Sumayya Khan

Many students prepared their instruments, practiced their pieces and finalized their tone for the yearly All District Band Auditions on January, Saturday the 6th at Stone Bridge High School.

Seventh grader saxophonist, Maria Stalcup auditioned for the All District Band. “I am kind of nervous for All District Auditions, because all of my brothers have auditioned for it before me, and they didn’t all have good experiences with the auditioning. It can be a lot of pressure to memorize everything, and I’m scared that I might get the hiccups when I’m about to start playing,” responded Stalcup when asked how she was feeling knowing that the auditions are coming up. Stalcup is mainly auditioning for the experience because she knows that they don’t accept many people and it’s hard to get high scores.

Sumayya Khan
Mr. Wright congratulates Trailside students that made it into the band. Out of 1,200 students, only 100 students were chosen.

All District Band is made up of students from all around Loudoun County. The students put on a concert in February. There are only 100 students picked for the final band. When anybody signs up to audition, they make sure that the performers are available for the concert rehearsals and the final concert just in case if the performer makes it in.

After Stalcup auditioned she was interviewed again. “The auditions were just like I had expected: stressful, nerve-wracking, and scary. I feel like everyone there was better than me, and that just made it worse. I really didn’t do that well, I messed up quite a bit on the sight reading one, and one on the scales. Honestly, I probably could’ve been calmer. While the situation was not designed to make you feel relaxed, there was no need for me to completely freak out.” Stalcup knew that she wasn’t going to make it in the final band but, was excited for next year when she already knows what is going to happen. “Don’t freak out. It’s not for a grade, it’s just for fun, and if you don’t make it, then it is a perfect learning experience. Plus, we still have next year to make it in for middle school. We also have all of high school to try out! So don’t freak out. You’ll probably do better than a lot of people older than you,” Stalcup suggested for any upcoming auditioners.

The auditions are a very solitary experience for the performers. The judges sit behind a big sheet so they can’t see the performer. Nobody except the judges are allowed to talk so that the judges won’t know who you are and give you props. To audition the performer has to play two major scales which are picked for you by the judges, one chromatic scale, one prepared piece and one sight reading piece which is unknown to the player. This year, more than 1200 students signed up for the auditions, which is the largest year yet! Only 100 students are chosen for the middle school band and 180 students for the high school band.

Seventh grader percussionist, Rasmi Tangirala is second alternate for the final band. “I am really honored and excited to have got into it. I am an understudy for snare.”

Trailside eighth grader clarinetist, Lea Sapatka made it into the final band. She is in 14th out of 24 chairs. “I am really excited.” Sapatka was one of the lucky 24 clarinets that made it in. Only 24 out of around 90 clarinets made it into the final band. Sapatka knows it’s going to be hard but is ready for the challenge.

1 Comment

One Response to “Get Ready For All District Band!”

1. Natalie on April 14th, 2018 10:01 am

You go Sumayya! You go girl

[Reply]

• Get Ready For All District Band!

A New Musical Is Taking Over Trailside: Seussical

• Get Ready For All District Band!

Templeton’s Terror: Kidnap

• Get Ready For All District Band!

Dunk You Very Much

• Get Ready For All District Band!

Fortnite Battle Royale

• Arts/Entertainment

NBA Week 22 Power Rankings

• Get Ready For All District Band!

In Case Of Boredom Break Glass: Dreamcatcher

• Get Ready For All District Band!

Templeton’s Terror: 47 Meters Down

• Get Ready For All District Band!

Flying High At The Olympics

• Get Ready For All District Band!

Templeton’s Terror: Split

• Get Ready For All District Band!

Hardbacks With Harwood: The Vanderbeeker’s On 141st Street

Get Ready For All District Band!