Hardbacks With Harwood: The Vanderbeeker’s On 141st Street

This+book+is+a+great+book+to+read.+The+Vanderbeeker%E2%80%99s+On+141st+Street+was+published+in+2017.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

This book is a great book to read. The Vanderbeeker’s On 141st Street was published in 2017.

Jane Harwood

Jane Harwood

Jane Harwood

This month I read the book “The Vanderbeekers on 141st Street” by Karina Van Glaser. It was a pretty good and exciting book to read. I definitely recommend reading this book! “The Vanderbeekers on 141st” is mostly about how the five Vanderbeeker kids find out they have to move to new town or new apartment away from all their friends because their landlord decides not to renew their lease.

The main characters in this book are the five Vanderbeeker kids, Mr. and Mrs. Vanderbeeker, Mr. Beiderman, Mrs. Castleman, Benny, Mr. Jeet, Miss Josie, and many other characters that come in and out of the book. The five Vanderbeeker kids all have very different opinions and thoughts. Mr. Beiderman is the landlord of the Vanderbeeker’s apartment and doesn’t want to renew their lease, so they have to move. Mrs. Castleman is a family friend of the Vanderbeeker’s and is Benny’s mom. She also owns her own bakery. Benny is a family friend of the Vanderbeeker’s and works in his mom’s bakery. Mr. Jeet and Miss. Josie live right above the Vanderbeeker’s and are always around. The youngest Vanderbeeker, Laney has a nice close relationship with Mr. Jeet. All the characters are very different from each other but in a good way.

The plot of the book flowed nicely and I never got lost while reading. I always wanted to keep reading through the book. Once in a while I would have to go back to the other page to see what character was talking. One time in the book when Isa and Jessie, the twins in the Vanderbeeker family had a friend over to hang out and I did get lost then between who was talking and what they were talking about, but that was mainly it.
I recommend this book to boys and girls that are in sixth grade and lower. As a seventh grader I thought the book was an easy read and the words weren’t that hard to understand.

Overall I thought this was a great book. I would rate it as a 4.5 out of 5 because it was very easy to read and easy to understand, but if I was the author, I would have changed some things about the book. I really enjoyed reading the book and learning about the Vanderbeeker’s. I also felt like I was really in the book and experiencing what the Vanderbeeker’s were going through. I hope you decide to read “The Vanderbeeker’s On 141st Street” and enjoy it like I did!

Jane Harwood, Student Life Writer

Jane Harwood is a 7th grader at Trailside middle school. Jane is involved in Trailside Times and  Loudoun County League Field Hockey. Some of her hobbies...