Dunk You Very Much

March Madness will start March 15 and end April 2. Last year winners was UNC and they hope to do it again.

It’s finally here! The final month for College Basketball is upon us, and only 68 teams are in the quest for a National Championship. But who will win it all in the quest for a title, will it be the stacked roster of the Duke Blue Devils, the Gonzaga Bulldogs, or could it be the Villanova Wildcats? Or maybe it could be a wild card in the tournament like the Oklahoma Sooners. Who will win it all in this year’s March Madness?

One special team in the top ten is the defending champions the University of North Carolina Tar Heels. They are coached by Roy Williams who has won three national championships and is looking for his fourth. They have some great talent with Joel Berry II as their starting point guard. Another star on their roster is forward Luke Maye,  Maye this season has been outstanding, his numbers are 17.1 points, 10.1 rebounds, and 2.4 assists per game!

6th grader Emily Hughes thinks the Tar heels will win again,”I think UNC will win because they were really good in the regular season, and have more experience from last years tournament.”

Another team in the top 10 is the Duke Blue Devils, the Blue Devils this season were up and down thanks to an hand injury to star freshman PF Marvin Bagley III. Bagley is averaging 20.7 points, 11.1 RPG, and 1.0 blocks per game. Another star on the Blue Devils is Grayson Allen, Allen has helped the team a lot in their time without Marvin Bagley. This year he is averaging 15.5 PPG and 4.5 RPG. The All-American could be the one who would take Duke to the National Championship!

The Duke Blue Devils are a strong contender as then won in 2015. Coach K. hopes to lead them to another title.

Trailside student Darek Heidary still believes in the Blue Devils, “I think Duke will still win the entire tournament.”

One of the wild card teams in this year’s tournament is the Oklahoma Sooners. They have a freshmen star known by many, Trae Young. He has an average of 9.0 assists per game, he also has an amazing average of 28.0 points per game. This year Trae Young won the Big 12 Freshman of the year. He has also played all of the 30 games this season. If an upset will happen for Oklahoma, Trae Young will be leading the way!

7th grader Ben Fremin is ready for March Madness as he shows off his Oklahoma Sooners key chain. The Sooners have an 18-13 record this year

Another wild card team this year is the Kentucky Wildcats, the Wildcats this season have been standing at a 21-10 record. Kentucky’s top scorers include freshman SF Kevin Knox, Knox numbers are 15.7 PPG, 5.3 RPG, and 1.4 assists per game. He could be the one who can take Kentucky to the top again, which will be the first time since 2012! Another player who is playing well this season is freshman guard Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, he is averaging 13.2 points, 3.8 rebounds, and 4.9 assists per game. These two talented freshmen could be the people to finally make the Kentucky Wildcats #1 again!

7th grader James Finan hopes the Kentucky Wildcats will win as they are his favorite team,”The Kentucky Wildcats are my favorite team because my dad went there and the basketball team is pretty good.”

7th grader Charlie Hughes favors the Villanova Wildcats to win The NCAA tournament. Villanova was able to win the tournament in 2016.

The Villanova Wildcats are another strong contender for the trophy as they also won it in 2016 against UNC. Some of their players include Jalen Brunson and Donte Divincenzo. Donte is averaging 13.8 points per game. His position is a guard next to Jalen Brunson who is averaging 19.0 points per game. They are one of the favorites in the tournament and hope to come out on top again.

7th grader Ben Fremin thinks that Villanova will win the tournament, he explains, ”I think Villanova will win the NCAA tournament because they have Jalen Brunson, and Donte Divincenzo and their three pointers have been hot latley, so I think they have the best chance.”

March Madness is looking to be another interesting one this year. 68 teams will make it but only one can take it home. Who will it be this year? The Villanova Wildcats, or perhaps the Kentucky Wildcats? Or maybe even a team many have underestimated like the Oklahoma Sooners. This will definitely be an amazing tournament with all the teams hoping to take the trophy home! Find out who wins it all on Monday April 2nd.