Florida Tragedy Inspires Trailside to Make Change

These+are+Miss+Vece%27s+Stars+of+Hope.+Her+students+were+working+really+hard+on+those.+
These are Miss Vece's Stars of Hope. Her students were working really hard on those.

Megan Helge

Megan Helge

Molly Alonso and Megan Helge

Recently, one of the biggest school shootings in US history occurred,
and students all over the country are doing all they can to make difference.
On February 14th 2018, a horrifying school shooting happened at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida. An armed, former student from the high school, killed 17 students and injured 16 others both inside and outside the school.
7th grader Charlie Hughes was one of the 150 students at Trailside that
walked out on February 23 in order to memorialize the lives that were

Megan Helge
In Miss Vece’s compass, lots of planning is going on. The students of her compass were looking forward to making the stars.

taken. “I think that we should limit access to guns to keep people safe.” Hughes thinks that having limited access to guns would help limit the number of school shootings. Several companies and businesses have felt the same way as Hughes. For example, Dicks Sporting Goods have banned sales of assault-style weapons because of the incident.
Seventh grader Emily Kittelson was also one of the students participated in the walk out. “I decided to walkout because I wanted to have a change in what goes on in the laws of guns and the safety and I also wanted to show respect for the people who died.” Kittelson feels that walking out makes a small difference but we still need to do more to make a big change. “I am going to write a letter to the school board in my county to talk about our safety and what we can do to improve different things around the school building.”

From this incident, Trailside Middle School has made their own solution to show respect to everyone involved in this awful incident. In students compass classes, students and their teacher will be making Stars of Hope. Stars of Hope are little wooden stars that are painted or decorated in bright and cheery colors, in a time of despair. They are sent to give hope to the people affected with tragedy and to show that they are not alone in this terrible time. The stars will be painted in compasses in bright colors and will have sayings on them to help the people of Parkland, Florida get through this terrible incident.

Mrs. Tricia O’Connell, Assistant Principal of Trailside Middle School, gives her opinion about The Stars of Hope. O’Connell thinks the Stars of Hope are a great way to show sympathy and a great way to pay it forward to those in need. “We are going to send these to Parkland, Florida, and hopefully they will come out and see them in trees, in buildings and in their classrooms. And then hopefully they will send them on to the next tragedy.” The Stars of Hope foundation actually sent Trailside extra stars so that they could give each compass class two stars instead of one.
Many people had different reactions to this devastating event, but there were also many ideas to help find a solution.