2018 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs

Patrick Devine, Charlie Hughes

Patrick Devine
6th Grade student Dylan Anderson showing off his Capitals jearsy as they won in Game 6 of the Eastern Conference Finals the night before. But can the Capitals take advantage of that win and win the Eastern Conference Finals?

The 2018 Stanley Cup Playoffs have finally arrived, and fans are anxious for their team to either make the Stanley Cup or hope their team does not choke in the playoffs. Those teams include the Los Vegas Golden Knights, the Pittsburgh Penguins, the Washington Capitals, and the Boston Bruins. But the question is which one of these teams will extend their playoff run all the way to the Stanley Cup?

First off we will start with the Los Vegas Golden Knights, the Golden Knights this season have surprised almost everybody as they got to the 50 win mark as an expansion team! There stars include C William Karlsson, who is the team’s leading scorer. He has 78 points, 43 goals, and 35 assists. He is sure to be one of the game changer’s in the playoffs for Los Vegas. “I want the Caps to win but I think the Golden Knights will win because of how good their season was and how they got to pick their players.”  said 8th grader Averie Jacobson. Another star for the Knights is LW David Perron, Perron this season has been the leader in assists for the Golden Knights as he had 50 assists in the regular season. “I think the Golden Knights will win because it is their first year and they have talented people.” Says 8th grader Darek Heidary. This team is truly a Cinderella story for the ages, but do they have the guts to extend their playoff run all the way to the Stanley cup?

The Vegas Knights are a first year team as they are an expansion team. Will they be able to win it all this year?

The Boston Bruins, David Pastrnak has been leading the way this season with 35 goals. If the bruins are to have any chance at winning he will have to stay hot with the amount of goals he scores.  I think the Boston Bruins will win because of how they can get up the ice and still be able to play defense.” said 7th grader James Finan. Their starting goalie has played 54 games with 53 goals saved. With him guarding the goal they have a solid record of 34-14 going into the playoffs. This team has had a dynasty before, but the question is will they be able to pull it out and start another one?

Next up is the 2-time reigning champion, the Pittsburgh Penguins. The Penguins this season landed second place in the Metropolitan Division behind the Capitals with a record of 47-29-6. Though eliminated they are still a great team with a top 15 player all time with Sidney Crosby. Crosby this season has scored 89 points, 29 goals, and 60 assists. His partner is crime, Evgeni Malkin, Malkin this season was one of his best because this year he led the team in goals with 42 and lead the team in points which is 98. “I think the Penguins will win because of Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin and how good they are, but if they lose it will be because of their goalie.” said 7th grader Ben Fremin.

Finally we have the Washington Capitals. The Caps have choked many times in the playoffs so far but some people still think it is their year to shine. Band teacher Mr Wright is one of the believers,”I think the Caps will win because they have choked so many times that eventually they won’t.” The caps this season weren’t expected to do anything special, because of all the players they lost in recent offseasons. Including Centerman Marcus Johansson who is now on the Nashville Predators. Also another key player in Justin Williams who is now on the Carolina Hurricanes. One of the Capitals star players now is Centre Alexander Ovechkin. Ovechkin this season lead the team in goals with 49, and lead the team in points with 87. “I think the Caps can win because Ovechkin will carry their team with the help of Oshie and Holtby.” Says 6th grader Emily Hughes. Another star on the Caps is Centre Evgeny Kuznetsov, Kuznetsov this season has led the team in assists with 56, and was second in points with 83.  “I think the Caps will win because they have shown great resilience and they haven’t won, and I think they’re ready for Tampa Bay.” said reading specialist Mrs. Gearhart.

Charlie Hughes
8th grader Averie Jacobson wears her Alex Ovechkin Jersey to show off her team spirit! Alex Ovechkin is the Capitals Captain and was their top scorer this season.

All these teams have shown they are contenders for the Stanley Cup, but there can only be one team who can win it all. But who will it be? Will it be the Boston Bruins with David Pastrnak, The Washington Capitals with Alex Ovechkin, and the newly formed expansion team which is the Los Vegas Golden Knights.

Patrick Devine, Student Life Writer

Patrick Devine is an 8th grade student in Trailside Middle School. Patrick is involved in Trailside Times and is a cross-country runner. Some of his favorite...