Pizza Wars Comes Again to Trailside

Pictured above is the groups hard at work to make the best pizza in their class. Which ever group was crowned as the winner of pizza wars didn't get a prize, but they did get bragging rights.

“And…..go” yells Mrs. Bodkin, as kids run across the kitchen to find the perfect ingredients for their pizza to win against all the other groups.
It’s almost the end of the semester, and we all know what that means, pizza wars! The recurring event is kicking off again and everyone’s excited. Pizza wars is a student driven project at the end of

Pictured above is Alison Cohens group working on their pizza. Alison’s group won their classes pizza wars with a rainbow cookie pizza.

each semester where students in FACS use their creativity to make any type of pizza they want. After the pizzas are prepared, teachers are chosen to judge the pizzas using a detailed rubric.
“I thought the rubrics were very fair, I like the emphasis on presentation because some pizzas were very good, but their presentations were lacking and vice versa.” said Michael Hallinan, editor and chief of Trailside Times. He was one of the judges during pizza wars, and he thought the best part was that the pizzas were free and pretty good.
The way the judges decide who wins the phenomenal event is a detailed rubric they use for each group. The categories that the students were judged on were sl

ogan/box cover, overall presentation, texture of crust (overcooked or undercooked), toppings, and creativity.  Hallinan stated “Texture of the crust was the area that a lot needed work on because that’s hard to nail down”
If Hallinan was a 7th grader, he would make a variation of buffalo chicken pizza, or maybe a peanut butter banana pizza on cheese.
“My favorite part of pizza wars was probably making the pizza, but it was also fun to eat” stated 7th grader Alison Cohen. Her group made a rainbow cookie pizza, which was made of chocolate chip cookie dough and icing. “If I could do pizza wars again, I would probably use less flour on the cookie dough” said Cohen.
Many other students enjoyed other parts of pizza wars. Juliana Fedak stated “I really like how there were many different varieties of pizzas. No two pizzas were the same.” Fedak and her group made a dessert pizza with ingredients like caramel, M&M’s, and frosting. Kiran Flieg, who was also in Fedaks group, said she enjoyed “That everyone was able to show what they were thinking and you could kind of see how the wheels turn in their brain.”
Pizza wars is a great way for students to express their creativity in a dish that everyone enjoys. Many students and judges enjoy pizza wars and want to do it again each year.