The End of Fortnite?

Back to Article
Back to Article

The End of Fortnite?

The home screen for Fortnite Battle Royale. Fortnite may have been known as the most popular game in this decade.

Epic Games

Epic Games

Epic Games

Victory Royale! From the crummy common pistol to the all-powerful legendary scar, many students of Trailside Middle School enjoy the online game craze known as Fortnite. But what will come of it? After the frenzy of the Fortnite ‘grind’, less people are talking about the game itself.

Many social media apps that once broadcasted eye-catching posts of Fortnite plays and reviews have been decreasing in Fortnite-related posts at an unbelievable speed. Fortnite, being an action-packed, third-person shooter adventure created by Epic Games, it is considered quite off-the-chain and wildly exciting to most gamers.

“Two years ago, I was just in the lunch line and everyone was talking about it. So when I got home I searched it up, then I started playing it.” says Jeovani Asiedu of the 6th grade. Asiedu seems most likely on the increase in popularity side. Although, research shows that Fortnite actually has been decreasing in popularity.

Fortnite itself does have many fun aspects that have been actually considered addicting. After logging in and “readying up”, your Fortnite character will spawn onto a small island where other players on your server hang around and frolic known as the “Lobby”. After this, you teleport to the “Battle Bus” at which you eventually jump off and freely skydive into the Map’s territory. The rest of the exciting game consists of finding chests to open that contain loot and eliminating other players with the gear you’ve acquired.

Since about the start of the 2018-2019 school year, Fortnite has been played less by a vast amount of TMS students.

Omar Ashraf
A student plays Fortnite while rushing through their homework.  Some studentss were so addicted to the game that they would not play outside.

A 7th grader who is currently enrolled at TMS named Kevin Caudell agrees with the fact that Fortnite is suddenly becoming less popular. “I believe Fortnite was good back in Season 2; Now they keep adding stuff and it’s not as good.” says Caudell. Caudell also says that the ‘older players’ are playing less out of boredom and making room for newer players of the game. Although, in the end, for many, game controllers from a lot of Fortnite-accessible consoles are being left on the couch untouched.

As Kevin Caudell has stated himself, as any other trend would, Fortnite has almost met its end.

Becoming less and less popular every day, Fortnite is undoubtedly coming to it’s playing end like others before it. Although, younger students of TMS are favored in the popularity of Fortnite, as the elder ones of 7th and 8th grade are slowing down in the ‘grind’.

“It’s fun, but the community isn’t as good as it was in December and January.” says Khushal Satish, a 7th grade student. “I don’t say Fortnite is going to ‘die’ anytime soon, it will still be really strong and popular, but I would say most of the old players won’t be playing as much.

Satish plays Fortnite himself, but seeing the way that Fortnite decreases, he will not be playing much anymore.

Other popular games from a few years in the past have had their times of descending popularity such as Minecraft and Skylanders. Minecraft, a few years back, was all the rage as Fortnite is today. Minecraft’s days were around the 2014 and 2015 years. Skylanders, also had many more fans awhile back.  Though research shows that Fortnite has stayed popular longer than a normal video game would, it just wasn’t enough to fight back against the mob of gamers tired of the same old Ready Up and Battle Bus.

“Back then, it wasn’t such a widespread game, and it was a chill game.” said sixth grader Paul Briggs. Briggs seems to agree with the fact that Fortnite has dropped of popularity.

Sarah Perry
7th grader William Lovejoy plays Fortnite during class. Fortnite was once a game that everyone would play during school or at home but now fewer people play or even talk about it. 

“It’s going down because they are adding too many games and ruining the field of it” says Briggs. He most likely had liked Fortnite more when it came out; when there were no crazy updates.

The craze of the adrenaline-rushing shooter game only got better after their temporary updates. As one could have guessed, with our 2018 technology, word got around quick about the game and it’s updates, so before anyone knew it, Fortnite was all over YouTube. Though the Fortnite craze is going down every day, you will still most likely see many people of TMS playing Fortnite.

“I’ve always been hoping that they would add multiple maps.” says Caudell, unhappy with the recent Season Updates. The current updates for the present Season Pass for Fortnite are not too impressive to many players of Fortnite. Caudell also quotes that Fortnite creators are making it easier for newer players, which tend to bore the older ones.

In many opinions, Fortnite remains a very fun game. To some, a waste of time. Nonetheless, many play it regardless of what others say.

Josh Porter, Arts and Entertainment Writer

Josh Porter is a student enrolled at Trailside Middle School currently in 7th grade. As a journalist for the Trailside Times, he enjoys writing for the...

Omar Ashraf, Sports Writer

Omar Ashraf is 7th grader at Trailside Middle School.  He is a very competitive athlete who plays basketball. He is really interested in playing and watching...

William Lovejoy, Student Life Reporter

William Lovejoy is a seventh grader at Trailside Middle School. He likes sewing together small creations, and using hot glue to put together scraps of...

Zubair Mahedavi, Media Reporter

Zubair is 7th grader at Trailside Middle School. Born in Philadelphia, PA, he is a die-hard Eagles Fan. He also is a hard-working Boy Scout who people...

4 Comments

4 Responses to “The End of Fortnite?”

1. Tommy Rizley on September 28th, 2018 9:18 am

Hi. Thanks for posting this article. I found it very interesting. I like how you added other 7th graders saying so that the reader can see it from the players point of view. I also liked your beginning. It kept me reading on. You should keep on doing articles like this.

Thanks
    -Tommy Rizley 7th grader

2. Jackson moore on October 2nd, 2018 3:11 pm

thankyou for the article i agree the game is to addicting i can say this because at one point i was addicted to it and made me fail in school but after i got good grades

3. Kaden Nickens on October 24th, 2018 12:27 pm

As a former worker at trailside times I admire your work. Or in a nutshell… Dope Article!!! loved the quotes and the orgizanition. Great to see another Fortnite article.

4. William Lovejoy on October 29th, 2018 3:17 pm

Kaden,
    Thank you for all of your gratitude for this dumb article! I never expected ANYTHING positive out of this ‘:)

• The End of Fortnite?

Offbeat and Inspired: How to make ornaments

• The End of Fortnite?

JOSHbuster: Catch Me If You Can

• The End of Fortnite?

Abby's Monthly Movie

Abbey’s Monthly Movie: A Quiet Place

• The End of Fortnite?

NBA Week 10 Power Rankings

• The End of Fortnite?

Templeton’s Movie Reviews: Home Alone

• The End of Fortnite?

A Holiday Chorus Concert

• The End of Fortnite?

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Revives The Series

• The End of Fortnite?

Loudoun County has a New Light Festival at One Loudoun!

• The End of Fortnite?

A Gift from Timber Wolf Productions

• The End of Fortnite?

William’s Low-Budget Cardboard Crafts: Using a glue gun

The End of Fortnite?