Current Compass Changes

Students enjoy a walk with their friends and teachers in the morning.  Walkabout has been one of the more popular changes made to COMPASS this year.

Students enjoy a walk with their friends and teachers in the morning. Walkabout has been one of the more popular changes made to COMPASS this year.

Liam Dunston

Liam Dunston

Emory Ellis, Liam Dunston, Emily Hughes, and Amina Ahmed

Students and staff are experiencing a different and new change in Compass this year at Trailside Middle School. The school decided to change the process of Compass because of a survey that students took last year. In response to the survey the Compass Committee is planning new activities for this year.

Compass is small period of time in the beginning of the day that lasts 22 minutes. It is an opportunity for students to check-in with each other and their teacher. Compass was only three times a week last year, so students and teachers did not have a lot of time together. On the days that students didn’t have compass, 1st block would be an extra 22 minutes. Compass classes would usually do a small craft, or talk in a circle. Even though students had compass three days a week, it wasn’t enough time for students and teachers to fully get to know each other.

Emory Ellis
Students are making conversation and enjoying their compass time. Once a week, students have a meeting and talk about their feelings.

Most students are happy that the Compass Committee decided to make changes for this year because many did not enjoy compass last year. “My compass class wasn’t interacting that much,” said 7th grader, Emmi Rosetti. The school is bringing back some activities and is also adding new ideas into Compass, like the walk-about, read alouds, and inspirational lessons. These activities get students involved with each other.

For example, the walk-about is when students take a short walk around the track or the school. The walk-about gives students a chance to get some exercise while at the same time having conversations and making connections with each other.

A new activity TMS created is the read-aloud. This is when teachers read a book out loud to their compass class. This year’s books are about characters that are the same age as Trailside students, and their experiences. “We wanted it to be so our middle schoolers could see that they are not alone, and that although we have problems, we can get through it together,” said Assistant Principal, Tricia O’Connell.

Emory Ellis
Seventh graders are listening to their book, “Ghost”. Teachers read a part of the book once a week .

Not all students are in favor of the changes, like sixth grader, Amelia Smith, who said, “I would just make it a time for me and my friends to talk and catch up on our homework.”  One of the biggest changes in compass is having it everyday of the week. Most students enjoy this like, eighth grader, Ryan Gardner who said, “I like that it is five days a week instead of three because it is a chill time,”  Many teachers think that it is important that students interact with each other instead of focusing on lessons. “They are pushing away lessons and bringing in conversations,” said Communications teacher, Michael Hallinan. It is very important for students to engage each other in conversation.

Staff members also believe having compass five days a week is important. “Research says it’s the best thing for kids,” said O’Connell. Each day of the week is different, so students do not get bored and tired of a certain thing. Given the information, staff and students seem to agree that compass will be a success this year

The Compass committee has put a lot of thought into their planning for this year. “It is a safe space for students and teachers to get to know each other,” said, O’Connell. It seems that this year will be a very good year for compass. Staff and student seem to enjoy this new compass! As O’Connell says, “I think this year we are really getting the formula right.”

1 Comment

One Response to “Current Compass Changes”

1. Ivan Ceric on October 24th, 2018 2:13 pm

The concept of compass is really cool.

• Current Compass Changes

Features

Improving Cafeteria Food

• Current Compass Changes

Features

Welcoming More To The Pack

• Current Compass Changes

Features

Pizza Wars Comes Again to Trailside

• Current Compass Changes

Features

April Showers, May Flowers   

• Features

Team Builders and T-Shirts

• Arts/Entertainment

Flying High At The Olympics

• Current Compass Changes

Features

Trailside is “set” to win the big game.

• Current Compass Changes

Features

NFL Wild Card Round Review

• Current Compass Changes

Features

Holiday Traditions? Check!

• Current Compass Changes

Features

The Impact of The IMPACK Awards

Current Compass Changes