Templeton’s Terrors: The Visit

Back to Article
Back to Article

Templeton’s Terrors: The Visit

Up above is the poster for The Visit. The Visit involves two children going to their supposed grandparents, but is it really their grandparents.

Sara Templeton, Student Life Writer

It’s October which means pumpkins, candy corn, and of course Halloween. Since it’s spooky season I decided to review a spooky movie, a spovie if you will. This month I will be reviewing the movie The Visit.

The Visit is a movie about 2 children that have been sent off to their grandparents, while a single mom goes on a calming vacation with her boyfriend. The 2 siblings notice some weird activity with the 2 grandparents. Who knows if it is their grandparents are not. Will they be able to survive?

I would rate this movie a very low 3 out of 10. The movies acting was horrific and the script was substandard. In my opinion the movie was just another basic 2015 horror movie. The plot is very creative and I was very excited to watch the movie, but I was very disappointed by the poor quality of the movie overall.

The acting was probably what really didn’t work for me. The characters are displeasing and unlikable children which is already very annoying. The actors for grandparents try to make an effort to be scary by having the actors ask the children things like ¨can you get in the oven to clean it,¨ (and then proceeds to push her into the oven) but are unsuccessful because their emotions don’t have anything to do with whatever is going on in the scene. The acting overall is just very irritable is very hard to not get bothered by the try hard actors. This could be the dialogue or the script but it doesn’t flow naturally, it sounds very forced and the actors don’t show any expression whatsoever.

The script isn’t as bad as the acting but definitely isn’t as good as the plot. The script was about average and sounded like it was made in about 3 weeks. It wasn’t intriguing and made the actors and movie look terrible. To be specific the young boy raps and uses pop star names instead of swear words, while the girl is uncomfortable and so overdramatic.  They make the boys character cringy and make the boy too immature for his age. The whole movie is immature. The scenes are just as bad as the acting and the script. They are just like a basic horror movie, and you can easily tell what is going to happen at the end.

Now the movie had a budget of 5,000,000$ and made 25,427,560 $ on its opening weekend. I understand why it got a little more than 5 times the movies budget because the plot does seem like a very good idea for a horror movie, it was just executed very poorly. Overall in the United States it made 65,206,105$ and worldwide it made 98,450,062$. The movie did not deserve this much money, but only got it because the trailer and the plot made it seem like an incredible movie.

Sara Templeton, Student Life Writer

Sara Templeton is an 8th grader at Trailside Middle. She is a Student Life Writer for Trailside Times. She is a very passionate athlete who competes in...