Stage of Nerves

The poster for The Little Mermaid.

Disney

The poster for The Little Mermaid.

Josh Porter and Ryan Lingerfelt

Disney
The poster for The Little Mermaid.

Audition: An interview for a particular role or job as a singer, actor, dancer, or musician, consisting of a practical demonstration of the candidate’s suitability and skill. To many people who participated in last year’s Seussical Jr., this was a rough experience, not in a bad way, rather it was challenging. The majority of the group that participated in the Seussical Jr. production a year ago were undoubtedly nervous while standing on the stage, facing the blinding lights in the auditorium and the nerve of impressing the directors judging their performance. This year the auditions aren’t changed much but it will certainly be a different experience.

This year’s auditions took place from Oct. 24 to the 26th, with callbacks being on monday and tuesday the next week. Auditions consisted of each participant performing 16 bars of a song from a broadway musical and a one minute comedic monologue in front of four of their peers and three judges. This year, Mock Auditions were also offered for people to participate in for the first time. They were very similar to normal auditions, except far more people were in the crowd. You also had the option to only do either your monologue or song. The point of this was to get feedback on your performance before the actual , instead of both. auditions, something which most people seemed to enjoy.

7th Grade student William Lovejoy sure seemed to enjoy this year’s auditions for ‘The Little Mermaid’.

“It was a very interesting experience,” says Lovejoy, after his Mock Audition. He claims to have not printed out any lines on his monologue, nor his song.

The musical this year will be different than before, with some actors and actresses that went to high school and many new students in all grades coming to the school. The director reported that more 6th graders auditioned than in the years prior, and overall more new students joined our school this year than any other years. This will almost certainly affect how the productions turns out, each person having their own way of performing and presenting themselves.

Ryan Lingerfelt
Seventh graders William Lovejoy (left) and Sarah Perry (right) rehearse their material for the upcoming auditions going from Oct. 26th – 28th.

The PTA also decided to do the full broadway version of the musical instead of the junior version. Something that may seem small but can affect a lot of how the musical will play out. The musical last year, Seussical Jr., had an entire plot change, switching the general from the broadway stage to the Wickershams, the tricksters of the show, in our version. This is also only the second year the new director, Katie Hudson, has been here to run the program. In contrast to the directors from the years prior Katie makes her living through directing.

Seventh grader Josh Porter sits in the band and chorus room, waiting for his audition to commence.

Overall, the musical will be different from the years prior. It remains to be seen whether this will conclude to be a good thing or not. We will just have to wait and see.