The Redskins Training Camp sponsered by Gatorade

Back to Article
Back to Article

Trailside students posing for a photo after a day of fun and hardwork. 12-15 students were gathered from schools all around loudoun county.

Summer fun, summer days, summer camps. The summer may be over but the memories are still prevalent. Many students remember the fun they had at summer camps, one, in particular, The Gatorade summer training camp. 125 Loudoun County students took part in learning about football. There were about 15 kids from our school that was invited to participate in this afternoon clinic.

“They invited a couple of schools to come up and do skills, they bring back some people who formerly played for them, who have been pro and won super bowls. It was basically a way to connect the redskins involved in the community.”  Keith Currence, chaperone for the camp and Trailside P.E. teacher

The volunteers were just as excited as the kids to go and meet professional players and watch the kids train with them. Mr. Gavin didn’t have a favorite drill, he just enjoyed seeing the kids have fun, the kids did things like run into pads in front of 300-pound linebackers.

“I went to camps as an athlete, but I had to pay. I think it is very unique that they gave out free shirts and T-shirts, and held the camp for free.” Says Health and Physical Education Teacher, Daniel Gavin.

Students don’t usually get the opportunity to be trained by Hall of Famers, the kids were very thrilled and so were the teachers. Gavin and Currence were very excited because there were football players from the 90s and they got to meet them. The teachers were far more excited than the students to meet Hall of Fame, professional football players.

This camp was a way for the redskins to reach out to the community. Not only was it a good time for the teachers, but it was also a great time for the students as well. There was one particular drill that most students enjoyed. “It looked like the kid’s favorite drill was running into the big inflatable blocker pads.”

Students seemed to be having much have and the teachers were very entertained. Overall everyone was very cheerful and energetic.

A student from trailside tackles another friend.

Mr.Gavin poses with some of the equiptment at the camp.

Kids and Teachers Mr.Gavin and Mr.Currence pose for a photo after a great day.