Reath’s Random Rainbow Reviews: Titans Pilot

Promotional+material+for+Titans+featuring+the+main+cast%3A+Rachel%2C+Garfield%2C+Dick%2C+and+Kory.+Titans+premiered+October+12%2C+2018.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Promotional material for Titans featuring the main cast: Rachel, Garfield, Dick, and Kory. Titans premiered October 12, 2018.

DC Comics Entertainment

DC Comics Entertainment

DC Comics Entertainment

Back at it again with ignoring all my friends’ suggestions and watching something none of them have ever heard of. Titans is D.c comics newest live action show. Available only on D.C’s new streaming service, D.c Universe, and Hulu. The show is a grittier version of the children show Teen Titans, which ran from 2003 to 2006 that followed five teenage superheroes as they protect Jump City. In the original cartoon, the Titans consisted of Starfire, Raven, Cyborg, Robin and Beast Boy. Though in Titans, Cyborg is nowhere to be found.

This will review will be as none spoiler as I can make. Any scenes I go into detail about are either so insignificant that they don’t matter in the slightest or where in the trailer.

Rachel Roth
So our story starts off with Rachel having a nightmare about what is obvious to the viewers, the night Dick Grayson’s parents died. Rachel watches as a family of three acrobats swing across an arena in front of a large light up sign that reads “The Flying Graysons” in all caps. The word “Flying” goes dark as a rope snaps and Rachel watches the parents fall to their death.

Rachel’s mom, Melissa, very quickly calms down a panicked Rachel. As she leaves, we see that room’s door is covered in crosses and pictures of Biblical figures. We’re not even five minutes in and I’ve already seen more crosses than I ever had the need or want to. I counted like a solid 14 throughout the whole house. When Melissa walks away we see a cross fall off Rachel’s door and hear it hit the floor, which is mighty edgy.

The next morning see Rachel looking like she just robbed a hot topic, and not in a good way. Good to know this version of Rachel has Wednesday Addams as her fashion inspiration. The show skips over Rachel’ school day for the most part. An event (that I’m classifying as a reasonably important spoiler, so it won’t be named) causes Rachel to have to flee her home. At the bus station, she chooses on a whim to go to Detroit, which, coincidentally, is the new home of the one and only Dick Grayson.

Time to rewind and switch to Dick’s point of view. It doesn’t do this in the show for the record. It jump-cuts and spreads these scenes out but I figured I’d be easier to review like this.

Dick Grayson.
The first scene we see him in, he’s doing police work in a police car, because the show really wants to subtly point out he’s a police officer. After that, we see him in a police station where he’s introduced to his new police partner that he doesn’t want (because cliches).

I’m honestly not a fan or Dick in the first episode. One of the first scene he’s in his violently beating up at least ten people. Maybe I’m too used to Young Justice’s Dick Grayson, but I don’t like him being a murder. While no one is confirmed to be dead it’s pretty obvious not everyone survived that mess. The scenes bad, like, just really bad. The Boy Wonder is shooting, stabbing, and at one point he dragging a man’s face across the remains of a broken car window. I don’t know who signed off on this version Dick but I wanna talk.

Later we get this scene where Dick’s watching the news and hears Robin get called a “Violent sociopath “. I understand we’re supposed to feel bad for him at that point, however, he low key seemed like it in that scene. I’m not saying Dicks a bad person, I’m just saying killing ten men in an alleyway isn’t the most heroic thing to do.
.
.
.
Raven ends up at a police station, and because plot convenience is convenient, Dick ends up being the one to integrate her. To skim through the rest of the plot to avoid spoilers, Raven is put in danger, kills a man, and is saved by Dick. The last time we see Rachel this episode she’s in the car with Dick, now on the run, and says “My mom, says there’s no such thing as monsters. I think she was wrong.”

Starfire
Starfire really doesn’t do anything that grande in this episode. She wakes up in a crashed car with amnesia. She figures out her name is Kory Anders and what hotel she’s staying at. Though that’s about all I can get into without spoilers.

Garfield Logan
Gar literally did nothing but show up at the end right after Rachel has her emo ending line to steal some video games. He’s already my favorite character.
.
.
.

I skip over a few things to avoid spoilers but, for the record, in about fifty-one minutes of edginess, our four superheroes’ criminal records seem a tad bit worrying. Dick has murdered and or viciously attacked at the very least ten people. Starfire shot a man and burned alive another three. Rachel killed a man by accidentally causing him to violently puke an ocean of blood (You’re welcome for that visual). Lastly, Garfield stole a few video games. So that adds up to a minimum of 14 murders, what I’m classifying as manslaughter, breaking and entering, and finally, shoplifting. Gotta love our heroic Heroes.

As much as I made fun of this show, it wasn’t bad. I mean yeah, Raven robbed a Hot Topic and Robin is the physical embodiment of one, but there are explanations for it. Raven’s actual age is never stated, but her actress Teagan Croft is only fourteen. I feel like it’s reasonable for a fourteen-year-old to be freaked out by her demonic powers and Robin’s edgy due to Batdad’s 10/10 parenting I’m guessing. I have to admit the “good guys that do bad things” aspect is actually quite appealing. My point is, despite me poking fun at the shows edginess, it does seem like a promising show. Anyone into superheroes, especial ones what do morally gray things should check out this show.

Heaven Reath, Reporter

Heaven Reath is an eighth grader at Trailside middle school. Her favorite class is history/civics. Her hobbies consist of watching YouTube and reading....