Students Prepare For Winter Break

Timber+the+wolf+statue+is+ready+for+winter.+The+staff+dressed+him+up+in+plaid+button-up+hoodie+with+no+sleeves.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Students Prepare For Winter Break

Timber the wolf statue is ready for winter. The staff dressed him up in plaid button-up hoodie with no sleeves.

Abigail Baltich

Abigail Baltich

Abigail Baltich

Abigail Baltich and Ryan Lingerfelt

Winter break is fast approaching and students are preparing for it. This two-week break from school is home to a lot of events for kids, whether it’s by making plans or decorating for upcoming holidays. To some, winter break

Abigail Baltich

means spending time with family, celebrating certain holidays, or even just getting a break from school.

Many holidays take place during winter breaks, such as New Year’s and Christmas. “We celebrate Christmas,” seventh-grader Sarah Perry said. “It’s a fun time for us to come together as a family and spend time together.” Some people also celebrate Kwanzaa, which goes from December 26th to the first day of January. Kwanzaa honors African heritage by those who hail from African descent. Others celebrate Hanukkah, also known as the Festival of Lights, a Jewish holiday which went from December 2nd to the 10th this year. Winter break is a good time for these to happen, giving many people plenty of time to simply enjoy the what these holidays have to offer.

Along with celebrating holidays, some people also have traditions. Some of which include staying up until midnight to

Abigail Baltich
Winter break is going to be a week and five days this year. Last year it went for two weeks and one day.

watch the ball drop in Times Square, watching festive movies, or decorating for the holidays. Students seem to mostly enjoy these activities. “We always decorate our Christmas tree together, and it’s my favorite tradition,” sixth-grader Mejd Hutchison said. Having free time from school makes it easy for them to do this.

Students also travel during winter break. Some people will travel and go see family members or to just get out of town. For some, it’s a tradition to travel every time winter break rolls around. A popular place that people travel to include Times Square for New Year’s Eve, where you can watch the ball drop. “Each year for Christmas we go over to my uncle and aunt’s house and see all of my cousins,” seventh-grader Eirini Syrtarioti said. “A little bit after Christmas we usually go to New York.”

Finally, students overall enjoy having time off from school. Some people will go sleigh riding if there’s snow, or relax and watch movies with their families. “I like the break from school because school is really stressful and I’m glad that

Abigail Baltich
Soon, students will be flooding out of Trailside for the beginning of winter break. Hallways and classrooms will be completely empty.

don’t have homework,” seventh-grader Ayla Shapiro said. “I also like to spend a lot of family time during winter break because we get to get off of school.”

Overall, winter break is a time for celebrating holidays, spending time with family, and having fun with family traditions. It’s a time for students to relax and enjoy what holidays and the like have to offer.

Abigail Baltich, Sports Writer

Abigail Baltich is a 7th grade student at Trailside Middle School. She plays basketball, violin, the guitar. She is very passionate about writing and playing...

Ryan Lingerfelt, Reporter

Ryan Lingerfelt is an 8th grader at Trailside Middle School. He takes guitar lessons and also like to express himself through drawing. He isn’t into...