Abbey’s Monthly Movie: A Quiet Place

A Quiet Place was released on April 6th, 2018. It is about a family who must stay quiet due to the aliens that will attack them if they hear them.

Paramount Pictures

WARNING: MAY INCLUDE SPOILERS. DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVEN’T WATCHED A QUIET PLACE AND DO NOT WANT IT TO BE SPOILED.

For my last movie review of 2018, I’ll be reviewing A Quiet Place, which was released earlier in the year on April sixth. A Quiet Place is about a family who is forced to not make any sound due to the blind aliens that had killed most of the human population. They have an acute sense of hearing, so any sound could put their lives in danger. If they make any sound at all, chances are that the aliens are going to kill them. They must use sign language to communicate and sand paths to walk on.

Lee Abbot, played by the director John Krasinski, and his wife Evelyn, played by Emily Blunt, must make sure that their children don’t make any noise. After losing their youngest child Beau, played by Cade Woodwin, to an alien, they become even more protective of their other two children.

One thing that blew me away was special effects, specifically the aliens. They looked very real and had many details that some movies tend to miss out on. The long, bony legs and arms that they had were very real looking, and their ears that would open up were even better. I don’t know how they were able to pull it off, but the special effect team did a wonderful job.

The action in the movie was pretty phenomenal as well. I loved the scenes where they were running from the aliens or being attacked by them because it looked very real. It seemed as if I was right there with them. They also did a good job with not making it seem too exaggerated, like some movies that I have seen in the past.

Besides the amazing action and special effects, the movie was very short in my opinion. It didn’t seem that long since there wasn’t much going on. There wasn’t necessarily a plot, and it made the movie not as great as I thought it was going to be. Even though the movie did have many good scenes within it, like the ones with tons of action to be specific, it wasn’t very good. That disappointed me since I thought that it was going to be a whole lot better.

There were many things that the movie could’ve added, such as more scenes with the aliens. They didn’t appear that much throughout the movie, which bummed me out since I was excited about seeing them. Another thing that the movie desperately needed was a plot. There was nothing that the movie was mainly about, just kind of their everyday lives but a lot more intense since the monster are going after them more than they usually do.

Overall, I rate this movie a 6/10. It wasn’t as good as I thought/heard that it was going to be. However, the action and special effects were amazing, and I was very happy about that. If they would’ve added a plot to the movie and more scenes with the aliens, it would’ve been perfect. 

Abigail Baltich, Sports Writer

Abigail Baltich is a 7th grade student at Trailside Middle School. She plays basketball, violin, the guitar. She is very passionate about writing and playing basketball. In her spare time, Abbey enjoys writing, reading, playing basketball and football, watching Netflix and horror movies, and watching most sports. Her favorite subjects are English and journalism. Abbey enjoys to cover stories on sports for the school newspaper. Something unique about her is that she can go a longer-than-average time without blinking. Her favorite football team is Florida State. Abbey loves to go to the beach for summer, along with amusement parks. Her favorite bands are Imagine Dragons and Florida Georgia Line. One accomplishment Abbey has achieved is teaching herself how to play guitar. When Abbey grows up, she hopes to help animals when or become a writer.