Reath’s Random Rainbow Reviews: My Hero Academia

Back to Article
Back to Article

Promotion material for My Hero Academia featuring main character Izuku Midoriya. Characters in the background (top to bottom) are Hitoshi Shinso,  All Might, and Mei Hatsume.

Promotion material for My Hero Academia featuring main character Izuku Midoriya. Characters in the background (top to bottom) are Hitoshi Shinso, All Might, and Mei Hatsume.

Viz Media

Viz Media

Viz Media

Heaven Reath, Media Critic

I chose to review shows for my blog because there are exactly two thousand seven hundred and ninety-two things my friends want me to watch. Three months in and I still haven’t gotten around to watching any of them. Instead, I’ve reviewed shows I’ve stumbled over, normally at ungodly hours in the morning.

My Hero Academia is an anime, which is something I’ve never watched before. The show is also known as Boku No Hero Academia or BNHA, which is what I’m going to be referring to the show as because who really wants to spell out either of those titles? I ended up finding some random video on the show at like 3 am and texted my weeaboo friend (A non-Japanese person whos obsessed with Japanese things) to ask if it was decent. She had never mentioned the anima before, but weeaboo friend is a weeaboo and had watched it of course. After watching the first season on Funimation using my wonderful weeaboo friend’s account, I can say it’s actually pretty great.

BNHA takes place in a world were most of the population has superpowers, which they call quirks (don’t ask me why I don’t know). In this world being a superhero is a legitimate job. Top heroes are better known, loved, and respected than anyone you can probably imagine. Eighty percent of people have a quirk, leaving the other twenty percent quirkless. Our main character, Izuku “Deku” Midoriya, is the latter. Despite being born without a quirk and bullied sense age four due to it, Midoriya is still determined to be a hero. After putting himself in danger to try and save his long-term bully Bakugou, he’s given a gift from the number one hero, All Might, for his bravery that allows him to get into UA, the top school for heroes in training.

I would go over the pilot or the whole first season typically, (I say typically, but I have no idea what a format is) but I honestly can’t do that with BNHA. The pacing is all over the place. One day in the anime can take anywhere from two to ten episodes. For the number of episodes, there are though, there’s not a lot of plot. I’m not saying its slow of anything, it’s really entertaining. The show just puts a lot of details into events.

But moving on from the plot, if you’re like me, you’ll literally watch a flaming pile of garbage if it has good characters. Now I really like the premise of the show and what’s happened so far in it, but the characters are by far my favorite thing. Midoriya’s class at UA is called class 1A, and the twenty of them are the characters we mainly focus on, some more than others though.

I don’t want to spoil anything but I can say that the character from 1A the story has actually focused on having interesting backstories and are really likable characters. Midoriya is helpful, polite, and friendly. I mean, no tea, no shade, but Midoriya just seems to kind of their most of the time, we love him though. That may sound bad, but I do think Midoriya is a pretty good main character. He’s also like, king of the All Might fanboys and just superheroes in general.

A roster of students in class 1A. Class 1A is UA’s top heroes in training course.

All Might, in my opinion, is just really really loud. Like, he’s heroic, brave, and caring, and all these great things, but the only thing about his character I can focus on is how freaking loud he is. That doesn’t mean he isn’t a good character, I just find it annoying to change my volume settings every time he’s on screen, but I’m just dramatic. It sounds like I’m complaining a lot, but it’s really just over petty things. That’s because there isn’t a lot to actually complain about. I don’t dread either of them coming screen or have any strong negative feelings about them, or over any BNHA character actually. BNHA does a really nice job of having characters you look forward to seeing. Even Bakugou, who is set up as the story’s antagonist is a fan favorite. Bakugou is rude, obnoxiously prideful, and snarky, and yet he still comes in first for a majority of the character popularity polls. Personally, I’m crediting that to him being more than just the stereotypical overly mean bully character. That’s something I really like about BNHA, all of its characters are more than just one exaggerated trait, which is more than I can say about other shows (*Cough Cough* Voltron Legendary Defender). Not to mention all of the character’s powers are actually really cool. From a girl who can turn off gravity to a boy who can shoot literal tape form his elbows, class 1A, along with a majority of the rest of the shows’ characters’ quirks are confusingly wonderful.

(My personal favorite character is tape boy, his name is Hanta Sero and his smile makes it look like he has ridiculously long teeth, he’s great.)

Basically, to sum it all up, BNHA is a great show and you should watch it. The characters are fun and likable and their powers are cool. The concept of a world where the powerless are the minority is something I’ve never seen before, and pairing that with a high school setting is also really fun. I mean, who doesn’t like an origin story? The shows fun, bright, exciting, and interesting. If you like things that deal with super-powered teens like X-Men or just young heroes in general, congrats, you’re the target audience for this show and you should definitely check it out.

Heaven Reath, Reporter

Heaven Reath is an eighth grader at Trailside middle school. Her favorite class is history/civics. Her hobbies consist of watching YouTube and reading....