Ryan’s Random Rawr XD Reviews: The Good Place

Back to Article
Back to Article

Pictured above is an advertisement for the third season of The Good Place. This photo features the main characters with supporting characters Michael and Janet.

NBC

NBC

NBC

Ryan Lingerfelt

Most people believe in some kind of afterlife. It’s impossible to tell what happens when we die for sure, but that doesn’t stop people from writing about it. The show The Good Place  is about four people trying to navigate through their after-lives in” The Good Place,” which is akin to heaven, and beyond. The plot, characters, and takes on morals are well thought out and all together make an interesting show that’s a joy to watch.

The main plot of the show is about a girl, Eleanor Shellstrop, ending up in “The Good Place by mistake. To get into “The Good Place” you have to have a high enough count of points, you earn points through doing commendable actions. This includes actions such as donating to charity, helping others, and generally bettering other people’s lives. You also lose points by doing “bad” actions such as crimes, making people’s lives harder, and other things generally viewed as immoral. In “The Good Place” everyone has a soulmate, which adds the sub-plot of Eleanor and her soulmate, Chidi Anagonye’s, relationship.  The show follows the four main characters, Eleanor, Chidi, Tahani Al-Jamil, and Jason Mendoza, as Eleanor tries to hide her secret and become a better person. It’s written incredibly well and the way the topics are presented truly make it a show worth watching. 

“The Good Place” starts with Eleanor dying and going to “The Good Place”. Eleanor was a horrible person in life, she put herself first no matter what. Her attitude border lined on all out hatred for all other people. When Eleanor dies and arrives in “The Good Place” she is greeted by Michael, the “architect” of the “neighborhood”, who believes she was a lawyer who spent her life devoted to helping other people. It’s revealed that they have her confused with another Eleanor Shellstrop, someone who was a much better person than her. She decides to keep this a secret, even after her existence starts to harm her community. She has trouble keeping it a secret and eventually her soulmate finds out. In “The Good Place” everyone has a soulmate and Eleanor’s is Chidi. He was a philosophy professor when he was alive, and he tries to help Eleanor to become a better person, so she deserves her place in “The Good Place”. Over the course of the season they explore philosophical topics and you get to see how Eleanor changes and grows, for worse or for better. It’s all tackled in a compelling way that furthers the plot but also makes the viewer truly think about the topics they bring up.

Each one of the characters in “The Good Place” are amazingly developed. Even the “side” characters such as Janet, the all knowing not human not robot helper for the neighborhood, or Michael have layers. The show does a good job of keeping them from seeming flat. Tahani, for example, is not a flat character despite the fact that she seems to have only one personality trait which is that she’s rich and famous. However, this isn’t because she is a two-dimensional character, it’s because that’s how she has chosen to present herself. This decision in the show really brings the whole ‘this is “The Good Place” but it’s not enjoyable’ elements Eleanor feels because this after-life was not made for her. Eleanor is jealous of Tahani and her seemingly perfect life and, by extension, after-life and it makes her feel more out of place and unhappy. The chemistry and interactions between the characters are also realistic, not flat. There’s levels to the way they feel towards each other. For example Chidi feels as though he must love Eleanor because she is his soulmate, but he hates how she treats him and what he tries to teach her. It’s not just that he is a “good” person and therefore must help and love everyone, he’s a human. These characters are well written, and played. They show how much time has been put into this show and how much it’s paid off.

The Good Place is nothing if not a well developed and enjoyable show. The way everything from the plot to the moral concepts are portrayed is sure to keep viewers coming back. It’s exciting to see where it goes next and what becomes of these characters. The show is something I highly recommend that anyone searching for something new to watch checks out. 

Ryan Lingerfelt, Reporter

Ryan Lingerfelt is an 8th grader at Trailside Middle School. He takes guitar lessons and also like to express himself through drawing. He isn’t into...