Clemson and Alabama play each other again for the 2019 National Championship

Back to Article
Back to Article

Clemson and Alabama played each other in the 2019 national championship. It is the third year that they have played each other in the championship within the past four years.

Programming Insider

Programming Insider

Programming Insider

Alabama and Clemson played each other again in the 2019 National Championship. This is the fourth consecutive year that both teams had made it to the playoffs, and the third that they have played each other in the championship. Clemson took home their second championship within the three years of playing Alabama, giving Alabama’s coach, Nick Saban, his worst loss since he started coaching them.

The undefeated Alabama Crimson Tide had an amazing regular season, averaging 55 points per game and only giving up 14 per game, making themselves a favorable candidate for the National Championship. They also have a very strong and smart quarterback, Tua Tagovailoa, who has 3,671 passing yards and 41 touchdowns this season. In addition to their great quarterback, the Crimson Tide also has an amazing defense that only allows 311 yards per game. A weak side for Alabama is that they do not have a strong defense. “I cheered for Alabama specifically because most of my family lived there and they are a very good team,” seventh-grader Olivia Weaver said.

The Clemson Tigers have had an amazing regular season like Alabama as well. They have allowed a tremendous 84.8 rushing yards per game, along with gaining 246.3. They also have scored an average of 44 points a game, while giving up just 13. Along with that, they have an average of 274.1 passing yards a game, thanks to their stellar quarterback, Trevor Lawrence. Lawrence has passed a total of 2,993 yards this year. With Lawrence as the highest rated quarterback in 247Sports history, Clemson’s offense has been amazing. “I cheer for Clemson because my parents both went to Clemson,” seventh-grader Sarah Perry said.

The game was definitely one to remember for Clemson. Clemson was up 14-13 by the end of the first quarter, just barely beating Alabama. By the end of the second quarter, Clemson had scored another touchdown and field goal, whereas Alabama had only gotten a field goal to bring the score up to 31-16. To kick off the third quarter, Imagine Dragons and Lil Wayne performed Believer together at halftime. With nine minutes left to go in the third quarter, Alabama decided to fake a

Gaming Today
Clemson came out on top by beating Alabama 44-16. They were then pronounced 2019 National Champions.

field goal, but ended up failing miserably and getting tackled around the line of scrimmage. Later on, Clemson scored another two touchdowns, however missing a field goal. That would be the last time either team scored, leaving the final score as 44-16. Clemson had won their second championship against Alabama within the four years of playing them in the championship game. “It was like a nail biter because in the beginning, Clemson was doing bad, but then they had some good plays, and they came back and won,” seventh-grader Jackson Manning said.

Alabama had a rough game. Alabama struggled in every aspect of defense. In the first quarter, Alabama allowed 14 points, which is the average points they let their opponents get. They also allowed Trevor Lawrence to pass for a total of 347 passing yards and 3 touchdowns alone took over Alabama’s 16 points, which prove the defense did better they would have won. When asked on what caused Alabama to lose “I was disappointed because Alabama didn’t win but because they were on, I believe, their fifth-string defense and Clemson is also very good. They deserved to win,” Olivia Weaver added.

Clemson had a very good game with many pros and a few cons. Although the Tigers did allow Tua to get some decent throws out to his many good wide receivers, the Tigers were all over Alabama when it came to the rush game. Clemson without star Dexter Lawrence had barely let the Crimson Tide to move the football around. If the Tigers could put more

WVTM
Clemson winning gave Nick Saban his worst loss since he started coaching the Crimson tide. The win also gave Clemson’s coach Dabo Swinney his second title.

pressure on Alabama’s quarterback Tua Tagovailoa, then it would have been a shutout. Putting the cons behind them Clemson played an amazing game.

Thanks to Clemson’s quarterback, they were able to beat Alabama and give Nick Saban his worst loss. Clemson is hoping to do it again next year since many of their star players will be returning. Alabama may be able to come back with another win over Clemson if they play each other again for the National Championship, however, they will have to work on their defense to do so.

Abigail Baltich, Sports Writer

Abigail Baltich is a 7th grade student at Trailside Middle School. She plays basketball, violin, the guitar. She is very passionate about writing and playing...

Omar Ashraf, Sports Writer

Omar Ashraf is 7th grader at Trailside Middle School.  He is a very competitive athlete who plays basketball. He is really interested in playing and watching...