William’s Low-Budget Cardboard Crafts: Cardboard Safe

Back to Article
Back to Article

If you plan on making a 3-lock safe, it should look like the one at the bottom. If you plan on making a 1-lock safe, it should look like the one at the top.

Hello, everybody, and welcome to William’s Low-Budget Cardboard Crafts! Have you ever wanted to keep something reasonably safe, and do so at a low budget and homemade? Good! Keep reading! Because, today, we’re going to make a cardboard safe! Don’t worry! It may seem unprecedentedly challenging, but it’s got a really simple premise. But enough rambling, let’s start building!

To begin, this only works with one number, but there is the easy way out to just make multiple locks on one box, but I’ll explain that in detail later. Now to explain the mechanism. How it works: There is a short little cylinder that I attached a toothpick to, put it through a hole, hot glued another thing to a certain place that sets the lock, create the box, and then use a toothpick at the top of the frame, then make sure the whole thing works! Sorry if that doesn’t make sense, I tend to ramble. Now to get more in-depth!

First, to start the lock. Create a ½ inch tall cylinder with about a 1¼ inch diameter. Then we’ll have to use an advanced technique. Take about three inches of cardboard, all of it ½ inches tall, and separate the “skin” from the inside (the part that looks all squiggly, it’s called the “core”), then wrap it and hot glue it onto the round side of the cylinder. This is where the markers come in. You’ll have to draw one big line on the round side, then a shorter line, long line, short line, all the way around until you’re where you started. Is there a short line between each long line? Yes? Good, keep reading. No? It’s okay, the lines won’t really matter anyway, it just makes it look more like a safe. Keep reading.

No matter if you have good lines or not, the next thing you’ll need to do is pick the numbers. Each line should be touching at least one side, top or bottom. Now, write down the numbers, starting with zero, on the edge, parallel with each long line. If your numbers are uneven, don’t be disappointed. I numbered mine 0-11 on accident, so who’s going to judge you? Everybody does that. If you want extra security, make three of these. I’ll explain what their purpose is later.

Moving on, now that your combination revolver is done, you’re going to make a box, top open, with dimensions of at least 3 inches by 2¾ inches by 1½ inches. If you want to make a triple lock (suggested for extra security), change the dimensions to 3 by 8¼ by 1½ inches. Now you’re going to have to make a triangular slit in the top of the front part of this box that we’ve made. Next, make a large circle with a similar triangular slit anywhere on the edge of it. We’ll have to do the most challenging part this time around. You must poke a hole into the middle of the front of the box. Then put the revolver into the hole. You should now be able to turn it, but it won’t stay that well. That’s where the circle comes in.

Have you picked out a number on your combination revolver? Yes? Good. Keep reading. No? Do it now, and make sure you keep it in your head. Keep reading. The trickiest part is lining the triangular slit up with the number you want to lock it with. Slide the circle in on the other side of the toothpick. It may be too big, but you just have to trim it all down to a size where it fits in the other side of the front of the box, but still covers up the other slit all the way around when you spin it. Does this all work? Good. Keep reading

. If not, don’t start over, just re-create the circle. After that, it’s smooth sailing. Now you just need to make another box, but with the front open instead of the top, as well, make all the dimensions of the box at least ¼ inch wider. Now, for the final task, make a frame around the open front part, cut down a toothpick to make it short, and put it in the middle of the top part of the front frame. Now, the final part is making sure everything works. Slide the first box into the second box. Make sure that the triangular slit is open, so the toothpick gets into it. Now, go from your selected number to anything that isn’t your selected number. Can you open the safe? You shouldn’t. If you can, you’re using too much force. Now go back to your selected number. You should be able to open it! Now, the final touch is incredibly complicated. Having to tell you that THAT IS IT! Yes, you’re done. You might be thinking you’d have to be here for DAYS, but no! This takes at max, around an hour. I couldn’t make it any simpler. You can go off, now. Show this thing off! I’m proud of you because this is probably my most complex blog post yet.

(If you want a triple lock, you’d have to triple everything you do in this last part. Farewell for now!)

William Lovejoy, Student Life Reporter

William Lovejoy is a seventh grader at Trailside Middle School. He likes sewing together small creations, and using hot glue to put together scraps of...