Templetons Terrors: Glass

Up above is the movie poster for Glass. Glass was directed by M. Night Shyamalan who was made other movies like Split, and The Visit

Sara Templeton, Student Life Writer

This year we are jumping back to last year, back to horror movies, and Templeton’s Terrors. This month I will be reviewing the movie Glass. This movie is a sequel and a combination of the movies Split, and Unbreakable. While there’s a lot of twists and turns, and it can be very hard to keep up, but this is a 10/10 for me.  I understand that a 9/10 it’s very close to perfect, in my mind, I could spend days watching this movie because every time I watch my perspective changes.

This has happened with only one movie, Split. It might be the acting, and I will have to say James McAvoy and Anya-Taylor-Joy are my favorite actors. Anya-Taylor-Joy has been seen in my favorite moves. While I can´t know for sure, playing the same person but 23 different personalities must be difficult. To put it in perspective your basically acting out 23 very different characters, and the transitions through them all more times than I can count, and yet he does it all very smoothly and precisely. The actors seemed mature, they all played their characters perfectly. When the actors needed to feel certain emotions and feelings, they were played out almost superbly. When certain characters had to feel fear, or sadness, or anger, it seemed as if it was all real.

The plot is by far amazing, with twists and turns and ups and downs, there is no way I can even summarize it. While at some points they can be bewildering, the two movies by themselves are astonishing. The plot of superhumans can become dull at the time, this movie was sure to make it intreanging. They included plot twists and plenty of different conflicts. Although at some times the movie could get a little confusing because of all of the relationships, characters, and plot twists, it all came together at the end.

The script was written very precisely to make the viewers mind twist and turn in many different directions. For example, at times I was switching mindsets, and sides. Throughout the movie the antagonist and the protagonist kept changing, it would change my view, and make me think about what was really going on. Many different theories and speculations were brought to my attention throughout the movie. The script closes all gaps and theories just to constrain the viewer to create more speculations about the movie. The movie itself is designed for someone who likes to think. Viewers would need to pay attention to the little things, to figure out certain parts in the movie. Keeping an open mind is something very helpful to think about while watching this movie.

M. Night Shyamalan doesn’t have a good reputation, making movies people have never heard of, and terrible plot twists, for example, the movie Visit was directed by him, and that was by far one of the worst movies because of plot twists and acting. I feel as if Shyamalan has a lot of creativity and intelligence but doesn’t take advantage of all of his techniques, and talents.

Glass hasn’t been the best rated by critics if anything it has been rated poorly. The difference between critics and average viewers is that critics mostly look at things like entertainment. While it is good to look at the entertainment, they don’t look at things like how it makes the viewer think, and emotion wise. If you were to look at the difference between critics and average viewers take on the movie, the contrast is very interesting. Viewers say the critics are incorrect and talk about how their perspective isn’t what they believed.

The movie is a very mind twisting, and hard to understand. The directing, acting, and script is beyond mind-blowing. I would recommend this movie to anyone that enjoys entertainment but also digging deeper into concepts of the movie.