Valentine’s Day

Back to Article
Back to Article

Valentine’s Day

This shows the two types of people on Valentine’s Day. People have always had their own opinion on Valentine’s Day and for he most part it’s always one of the two.

Eva Lanham

Eva Lanham

Eva Lanham

Eva Lanham and Jamie Smalls

The seasons are changing and the flowers are blooming. People are falling in love, or maybe not! Valentine’s day is right around the corner and there are a lot of mixed emotions about it. Some people really enjoy the idea of celebrating love, while others hate the entire concept of the holiday.

“ I just feel like Valentine’s Day is a stupid holiday meant to take everyone’s money,” said seventh-grader Ava Jacobson. Think of this holiday as having a devil and an angel; the pros and cons if you will. “ I love Valentine’s day because it’s a holiday celebrating one of the most important things in life, love!” said seventh-grader Alana Talbert. This can either be a joyous holiday to proclaim your love to someone, or it can be a lonely day to watch others be happy and in love, while you try to be happy by yourself. Either way, here is Trailsides take on the holiday.

Most of the time, people either hate Valentine’s Day, love it, or just love the candy that comes along with it. Others, just like to celebrate it with friends or family. “Valentine’s Day is just a commercial Holiday made by companies who just want to make some extra money.” Said Emilia Bohem a seventh-grader at Trailside middle school. At Trailside, Valentine’s Day isn’t really a huge occasion, however, some teachers allow students to hand out candy to some friends and even eat it in class!

On Valentine’s Day, some people have plans with their special someone! Those who do usually are planning on doing something special and going out, others stay in and just hang out. “I don’t really have anything planned but me and my girlfriend are just going to hang out”. Said seventh-grader Josh Porter. Most people would buy their significant other flowers, because a lot of females love flowers, especially on Valentine’s Day. Valentine’s Day is a day to love and to be loved.

Sarah Perry
Many kids on Valentine’s Day like to write their friends special notes. “Valentines” have been a tradition for years and year and this year they were still going strong.

Whether you like the holiday or not, there is no escaping a little thing called, candy grams. This is what Trailside does for Valentine’s Day. “I love the idea of candy grams because it’s super fun and you get to send cheesy messages to friends,” said Mishal Khan a seventh-grader at Trailside Middle School. The students at Trailside have three lunch periods before Valentine’s Day to bring in money and write their friends a special note. The candy grams cost one dollar each and you can buy as many as you want. On Valentine’s day, the notes are delivered and your friend gets to pick a piece of candy and read your note.

Eva Lanham
These are what the Candy Grams look like. Candy Grams have been a tradition for four years and they have always been a fun way to show appreciation for friends.

Valentine’s day doesn’t have to be controversial. If you love it, great! It’ll most likely be a good day for you. If you hate it, however, then you may just have to deal with it. Sadly or maybe luckily, Valentine’s day is unavoidable for everyone at Trailside. If you don’t like it just try to have a good day. How bad could it really be? You get to have candy in most classes and everyone is usually in a pretty good mood, so take advantage of it!