Winding Weather Spins Out of Control

Back to Article
Back to Article

Winding Weather Spins Out of Control

Just outside the hallway window at our school, shows a glorious flurry of snow covering the school grounds and the rest of Ashburn. It had as well been enough to give students and teachers a break from school.

It’s still Winter, but the weather here in Ashburn is warm one day and cold the next. Many TMS staff members and students are hyped about the weather, whether it’s sunny or snowy. Even in February, sunny skies still show around the edges of the week.

¨We can’t go outside when we have basketball.” says Kevin Caudell, a student of the 7th grade.

Students like Kevin have been having many problems like this. Many practices have been canceled along with the many snow days, and although snow days seem fun, sometimes the snow can give tedious tasks. Stupendous amounts of homework and school work can be hard to catch up on, but how does it affect the teachers?

“The weather impacts me because I feel like it makes the learning a little chunky, which makes it harder for students and everybody to stay on track. At the same time, it also slows down the purpose of when things should be turned in,” says Mrs. Johnson, a staff member. Johnson also claims that she “had to make a couple of changes on the date of certain writing assignments.” Johnson teaches 7th grade English.

As shown, trees, sidewalks, along with the rest of the ground these days have been entirely blanketed in snow.

Teachers still get work done, regardless of the snow. Although, teachers such as Mrs. Johnson believe its hard to keep the students focused after the days off. Teachers have to make changes to due dates, but still, have to get grades in by certain times. Great amounts of teachers are struggling with catching up their students from the snow days’ delay.

Most students love the snow break, the thought of playing in the snow, sleeping in, and not having to deal with school. However, when the warm weather comes around is when students start smiling when they actually have encouragement to get out into the world. A study from phycologist Nick Haslam shows that sunny weather has the most intimate effect on mood. Everyone was walking down the halls with smiles on their faces, it’s warmer and easier to wake up, but the next day the rain and snow come back.

Rebekah Murdock, a 7th grader, says¨I get to sleep more.¨

Many students think that the weather can work out in favor for them, but looking past the snow days, and the random sunny days, students have been impacted in a negative more than a positive way.

¨I get headaches when it gets really stormy,¨ says Cici Canfield.

While there is not a proven fact that people can get sick from weather changing, according to the USA today people can get headaches and feel nauseous. So, what is this frantic weather, and why is it happening?

Up above is the weather map for the beginning of February. The weather of Minnesota has been colder than Antarctica.

Most of this extreme weather is caused by a polar vortex. A polar vortex is a low-pressure area that usually stays towards the North and South poles. Usually, circular bands act as a blocker, but every now and then the cold winter air escapes and starts to move South. States like Chicago and North Dakota have been hit with temperatures colder than Antarctica. According to BBC, meteorologist Ricky Castro says that ¨this could possibly be history-making.¨

The weather can most definitely affect both students and teachers. Whether they can walk their dogs or even do their work, it is all affected by Ashburn’s winding weather.

Sara Templeton, Student Life Writer

Sara Templeton is an 8th grader at Trailside Middle. She is a Student Life Writer for Trailside Times. She is a very passionate athlete who competes in...

Gabby Flamish, Sports Writer

Gabriella Flamish is a bubbly 13 year old in 7th grade. She enjoys playing volleyball, and hopes to make a division 1 college volleyball team. She has...

Josh Porter, Arts and Entertainment Writer

Josh Porter is a student enrolled at Trailside Middle School currently in 7th grade. As a journalist for the Trailside Times, he enjoys writing for the...