Gabby’s Crunchy Club: Valentines Day Dipped Pretzels

An example of the finished dipped pretzels.

Gabby Flamish, Student Life Writer

Hey guys! Welcome back to Gabby’s Crunchy Club! For this month edition, I have chosen to make valentine’s day themed dipped pretzels. Valentine’s day can be fun for all ages whether younger or older, single or in a relationship. There is plenty of things that you can look forward too, whether it’s from actually celebrating the holiday with someone to the candy going on sale the day afterward!

This months recipe is from “5 Minutes for Mom”. This website provides many easy and quick recipes to make. The recipe I have chosen for the dipped pretzels happens to be one of the most popular recipes on the site, so here I am putting it to the test: does all of this hype have backing? Here’s how to make the pretzels:

VALENTINE PRETZELS

These Valentine pretzels made with candy melts are so easy to make and kids love them.

• Prep Time:5 minutes
  • Cook Time:5 minutes
  • Total Time:10 minutes

INGREDIENTS

• 1 bag Pretzel Rods
  • 1 bag Pretzel Twists
  • 1 bag Pink Candy Melts
  • 1 bag White Candy Melts
  • 4 tbsp Vegetable Shortening
  • Candy Sprinkles (various colors)

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Add 1 cup of each color of candy melts into separate microwave-safe bowls.
  2. Add 2 tablespoons of vegetable shortening to each bowl of candy melts.
  3. Microwave the melts in 30-second intervals, stirring each time in between until the melts are smooth and creamy.
  4. Place a large sheet of wax paper over a hard surface.
  5. Dip and cover each pretzel covering about a third of the surface or use a spoon to pour the candy melts over the pretzels.
  6. Tap the pretzel on the side of the bowl to remove excess candy.
  7. Place the dipped pretzels on the wax paper and decorate with candy sprinkles.

This recipe pulled through! It was so easy to do and I could make it without having to go to the store and buy the ingredients. Since I bake a lot, I have candy melts around my house. For the people who don’t usually bake, this may be something you would have to go out and buy. The steps were very easy to complete, and not confusing, for the most part, I had to look up what “vegetable shortening” was. Turns out vegetable shortening is a term for fat from vegetable oil.

The combination of sweet and salty was perfect. It was almost as good as bacon and maple syrup in my opinion. In conclusion, this recipe was an overall success and I would totally recommend this recipe to a friend. Thank you for reading this months edition of Gabby’s Crunchy Club!