Abbey’s Monthly Movie: Happy Death Day 2U

Back to Article
Back to Article

Happy Death Day 2U was released on February 13th, 2019. It is the sequel to the first movie, Happy Death Day, which came out October 13, 2017

IMDb

IMDb

IMDb

Abigail Baltich, Media Critic

WARNING: MAY INCLUDE SPOILERS. DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVEN’T WATCHED HAPPY DEATH DAY 2U AND DON’T WANT IT TO BE SPOILED.

For March, I will be reviewing Happy Death Day 2U, which came out last month on the 13th. After enjoying the first movie, I was excited about watching and later reviewing the sequel. In Happy Death Day 2U, Tree wakes up and realizes that she’s stuck in a parallel universe and is once again reliving the same day over and over and has to figure out how to get back to her original universe before time runs out.

Tree Gelbman, played by Jessica Rothe, wakes up on her birthday once again, however things are much different than they were before. Her roommate, Lori, played by Ruby Modine, isn’t trying to kill her, and her mom, played by Missy Yager, is alive. Along with that, her boyfriend Carter, played by Israel Broussard, is now dating her roommate, Danielle, who is played by Rachel Matthews. Tree must figure out how to return back to her original universe before she, or any of her friends, die for good.

The action in the movie I thought was one of the best parts of it. My personal favorites were all the scenes when Tree was fighting the murderer. They all were very interesting to me, and I thought that they were all well planned out. They didn’t seem too dramatic, and it wasn’t lacking many details to it. Plus, the acting in these scenes I thought had improved from the first one, so that made me happy. Plus, they added humor in them every now and then, which I thought was a good touch to the scenes.

This movie was definitely a lot funnier than the first one was. If I had to name the number one thing that I thought they improved on between the two movies, it would definitely be the humor. It was a whole lot better and I thought that the directors were pretty creative with it. Scenes with humor I found a lot more interesting than some of the other scenes that did have any/very little. It was probably one of the best parts of the movie, along with the action.

I did enjoy this movie, however, I did find the first one a whole lot better. Yes, the second one was a lot funnier than the first, and the action was a whole lot better, but it seemed like they were so desperate for a second movie. It was almost like the directors came up with a random plot and rushed through the movie without explaining many events that took place. Because they rushed through it, I was confused for about 3/4 of the movie, which didn’t make the movie any more enjoyable. The plot was pretty random like I said earlier, however, it was kind of interesting. I just didn’t think that it was well planned out. Plus, the device that caused Tree to be stuck in the parallel universe was very quickly explained, so it took me a while to understand what it actually was and what it did.

Like I said earlier, I found this movie pretty confusing. The main part that confused me was the two Ryan’s at the beginning of the movie, who was played by Phi Vu. I thought that they would explain later on why there were two of them (they sort of did, but it was poorly explained and somewhat rushed), but they didn’t. Another thing that confused me was the whole parallel universe conflict. It took me longer than I thought it should’ve to figure out what had happened to Tree when she woke up in the parallel universe. At certain points, I was able to understand a bit of what was going on, but for the rest of it (which was basically the majority of the movie) I was just super confused. If they would’ve explained everything somewhere in the middle of the movie, I think it would’ve made the movie a lot better because I wouldn’t be as confused.

Overall, I’d rate Happy Death Day 2U a 7/10. Even though I did think that they improved with humor and action, it was a lot more confusing and it seemed somewhat rushed. If they would’ve slowed down and explained things more clearly, the movie definitely would’ve been a whole lot better.

Abigail Baltich, Sports Writer

Abigail Baltich is a 7th grade student at Trailside Middle School. She plays basketball, violin, the guitar. She is very passionate about writing and playing basketball. In her spare time, Abbey enjoys writing, reading, playing basketball and football, watching Netflix and horror movies, and watching most sports. Her favorite subjects are English and journalism. Abbey enjoys to cover stories on sports for the school newspaper. Something unique about her is that she can go a longer-than-average time without blinking. Her favorite football team is Florida State. Abbey loves to go to the beach for summer, along with amusement parks. Her favorite bands are Imagine Dragons and Florida Georgia Line. One accomplishment Abbey has achieved is teaching herself how to play guitar. When Abbey grows up, she hopes to help animals when or become a writer.