Celebration of Pi Day at Trailside Middle School

Many+people+around+the+world+enjoy+Pi+day+for+many+reasons.+It%27s+a+day+for+math+and+a+day+for+the+great+dessert%2C+Pie.++Trailside+celebrates+PI+day+in+many+ways.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Many people around the world enjoy Pi day for many reasons. It's a day for math and a day for the great dessert, Pie.  Trailside celebrates PI day in many ways.

Many people around the world enjoy Pi day for many reasons. It's a day for math and a day for the great dessert, Pie. Trailside celebrates PI day in many ways.

Trailside celebrates Pi day by doing many different activities during lunch. One of the many activities they did is a pie eating contest where teachers and students went against each other eating as much pie as they could. They also did another competition of reciting as much Pi numbers they have memorized. Winner of the competition gets prizes from the student council. “I think our school makes Pi day fun and it stands out more because of the activities we do, it also is leading up to SOLs and it’s a fun day for students and teachers,” said 7th-grade counselor Ms.Handy.

Patrick Devine
8th grader Theo Dendievel went up against teachers and other students to see how much Pi he could eat.

Students can also enter the raffle to compete against teachers, raffles cost around 50¢ for one ticket and $1 for 3 tickets. Students and teachers who don’t want to participate in the pie eating contest can compete to see how many digits of pi you can recite. “I think our school makes it fun and it stands out more because of the activities we do, it also is leading up to SOLs and it’s a fun day for students and teachers. we do something different each year” Said 7th-grade counselor Ms.Handy. The winners for students and teachers both get prizes. “There are many things that are happening in our school such as the students and teachers competition on the pi day. “I celebrate Pi day by wearing my favorite Pi day tattoos and showing my students a Pi day website about finding your birthday digits in the digits of Pi and it is also fun to see how random it is.” said math teacher Ms. Leek. But some people treat Pi day as a normal day even though teachers give many fun activities such as finding how many digits of Pi are in your birthday.” said math teacher Mr. Colaciello.

There are few people who have memorized the first thousand digits in Pi, but almost everyone knows the first 3 numbers of Pi which is 3.14. Pi day also happens to be Albert Einstein’s birthday, March 14, 1879. The man who has said the most digits of pi is a Japanese man named Akira Haraguchi, who recited 100,000 digits of pi all from memory in 2006. It took him around 16 hours and 30 minutes. But the Guinness Book of World Records has not validated his record yet. But how do all of these people memorize all these digits of pi? One way to memorize the digits one Pi is the Linking System. The Linking system is where all beginners should start. Essentially what the linking system does is invent a vivid, visual story around a list, “linking” them together in an order that’s easy to recall. 6th grader Moya N’kong memorizes the digits of pi by watching a video and then reciting it. She also heard a song that has the digits of Pi.

Overall, Pi day is just a fun day for all with various friendly competitions that include pie eating contests, pie baking contests, and competitions to see who can say the most digits of pi. “I love pi day not only for the activities but I love Pie, my favorite type of Pie is apple and blueberry with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.” Said 7th-grade counselor Ms. Handy.