TMS students and staff; Checking in for the third quarter

Back to Article
Back to Article

Many students are getting overwhelmed and stressed with all the extra work of the third quarter. Students have always gotten very stress around this time of year with all of the challenges they are facing.

Iman Faisal

Iman Faisal

Iman Faisal

Emory Ellis, Eva Lanham, and Iman Faisal

The third quarter is coming to an end. Students are starting to get ready for spring break,  and to enter the last quarter of the year. However, students are facing multiple challenges such as Passion Projects, preparation for S.O.Ls, and the final round of MAP testing. This is why the third quarter is a great time to check in with TMS staff and students, to see how they are handling these third quarter challenges.

A lot of students, especially eighth graders, are getting stressed about S.O.Ls and how

Eva Lanham
Many of Trailside students are seeing these signs around the halls. The schools have been using these signs to ensure that the students testing can focus.

soon they are. “The S.O.Ls are stressing me out more and more the sooner they are,” said Sabrina Jacob an eighth-grader at Trailside middle school. As for the rest of the school, the third quarter means preparing for them. “I hate S.O.Ls so I hate third quarter because all we do in the third quarter is get ready for them,” said Ina Peev a seventh-grader at Trailside. Math students are also having more frequent spiral quizzes the closer the math S.O.L is “It’s becoming a lot harder to keep my grade up when there is a spiral every two seconds!” said Lydia Rouse a seventh-grader at Trailside.

To some, however third quarter means summer is arriving. “ I think third quarter is the last actual quarter of the year,” said Natalie Meehan a seventh-grader at Trailside. To many students, the third quarter is extremely hard, however, it’s worth it considering that once S.O.Ls are done, most classes don’t have much else to teach. So that is why a lot of people consider the third quarter as summer arriving very soon.

Students aren’t the only ones that have to deal with the third quarter, the staff has to as well. In the third quarter, teachers have to prepare their students for S.O.Ls, and also put many grades into the grade book. “Third quarter is really busy because I start preparing my students for S.O.Ls” said Mr. Colaciello, a math teacher at TMS. Even though teachers don’t take S.O.Ls they have many other responsibilities to worry about.

Emory Ellis
The weather is starting to get nicer so many classes are getting to go outside. Students have always loved the special treat of getting to go outside for class.

Third Quarter may be a hard time but students and staff are hanging on. “The third quarter is definitely a difficult time, what keeps me going is the realization that there are only a few more months till summer is here, ” says Sumayya  Khan, 8th grade studied. As the SOL sessions start to come in the third quarter is mainly what is peppering students for this big test “As soon as the third quarter comes we start preparing for the sols we start taking way more spells in math and do a lot of review in English,” says another 8th grader who would like to stay anonymous. Overall the third quarter is definitely a stressful time for students and staff but Trailside is going strong.

Emory Ellis, Photographer

Emory Ellis is a 13-year-old seventh grader at Trailside Middle School. In his free time he reads, writes, and plays his guitar. He enjoys playing basketball...

Eva Lanham, Reporter

Eva Lanham is a Seventh Grader at Trailside Middle School. She plays field hockey, basketball, and she swims. She loves going on bike rides and doing handstands...

Iman Faisal, Reporter

Iman Faisal is a 8th grader here at Trailside Middle School.  She was born in Atlanta Georgia and enjoys listening to music, watching soccer, and hanging...