Battle of the Books 2019 Competition

Back to Article
Back to Article

Battle of the Books 2019 Competition

Trailside Middle School students huddle around their board, quickly writing the answer. Each team had a customized shirt/ sweatshirt.

Arshia Fatima

Arshia Fatima

Arshia Fatima

Battle of the books is back for its fifth year at Trailside. Battle of the books is a club that consists of students from 6th-

Abigail Baltich
This is the Battle of the Books sweatshirt that was given out to some of the members. Battle of the Books members got to choose between either a shirt or sweatshirt.

8th grade. The students read selected books and later compete against other schools. Trailside’s club is run by Sunshine Ricketts and Andrea Kling, who are two of the three librarians at Trailside.

Safiyah Fatima
Pictured above is the Brambleton Middle School team (blue) and the Eagle Ridge Middle School team (green). Brambleton Middle School received first place.

Battle of the books is a club that lasts the entire school year. Students from 6th-8th grade can join and compete in a competition based off of the books that were chosen. The four books read this year were Wolf Hollow by Lauren Wolk, Iron Trial by Cassandra Clare and Holly Black, Running Dream by Wendelin Van Draanen, and Great Greene Heist by Varian Johnson.

“I joined battle of the books because it sounded fun and because I wanted to read Iron Trial again,” said sixth-grader Deryck Toney.

This year, Trailside was against Brambleton Middle School and Eagle Ridge Middle School. Trailside also held the event. Every school had a whiteboard. All of the schools would be read a question about one of the books. They would then get 30 seconds to answer that question. There were four rounds. Each round had four questions worth five points and one question worth ten points. If a question is answered incorrectly, then that team doesn’t get the points.

“I enjoy seeing the kids getting excited about the different books that they usually wouldn’t read,” said librarian Sunshine Ricketts, “My favorite book was Wolf Hollow because it was very realistic.”

Additionally, the Battle of the Book heads decided that they would include another competition, Virginia Readers Choice, inside of the original competition. Students from each team read ten extra books to compete in a speed round (Virginia Readers Choice). The books consisted of Ghost by Jason Reynolds, Fuzzy by Paul Dellinger and Tom Angleberger, and The Big Dark by Rodman Philbrick. The students from Trailside who competed were Safiyah Fatima, Dalia Sanders, and Sumayya Khan.

Trailside students try to block the whiteboard from view. Trailside received second place.

“I really enjoyed doing battle of the books again. I want to do it next year in high school. This is my sport, where other people’s is soccer or something. It was also interesting to see how the Virginia Readers Choice competition went because this was the first year they were including that.” said eighth-grader Safiyah Fatima.

This year, Battle of the Books placed in second, with 300 points. Even though they didn’t beat first-place Brambleton Middle School, who had 330 points, everyone was very proud.

“I joined because I love reading. I really enjoyed it because I loved experiencing the different format of reading. Most of the time, people read for fun, but this time I had to read for a competition.” said sixth-grader Kyleigh Weyer.

Sumayya Khan, Editor

Sumayya Khan is an eighth grader at Trailside Middle School. Sumayya enjoys many things, including reading, writing, drawing, and sewing in her free time....

Abigail Baltich, Sports Writer

Abigail Baltich is a 7th grade student at Trailside Middle School. She plays basketball, violin, the guitar. She is very passionate about writing and playing basketball. In her spare time, Abbey enjoys writing, reading, playing basketball and football, watching Netflix and horror movies, and watching most sports. Her favorite subjects are English and journalism. Abbey enjoys to cover stories on sports for the school newspaper. Something unique about her is that she can go a longer-than-average time without blinking. Her favorite football team is Florida State. Abbey loves to go to the beach for summer, along with amusement parks. Her favorite bands are Imagine Dragons and Florida Georgia Line. One accomplishment Abbey has achieved is teaching herself how to play guitar. When Abbey grows up, she hopes to help animals when or become a writer.