Joshbuster Reviews: Daredevil

Released in 2003, Daredevil featured two main characters as Ben Affleck, Daredevil himself, and allied assassin Elektra (Right to left)

Honestly, I’ve wondered why I haven’t yet reviewed this movie. Daredevil has always been my favorite since the day I first watched it, not many years ago. The film was definitely a highlight, as I consider it quite a unique superhero movie. It is, in my opinion, the best early 2000’s action movie of all action films.

At first thought, you may pass this film up like just another generic superhero movie with all the same action and surprises as a random Marvel movie. Fortunately for my review, that would be wrong, in a matter of opinion, of course. See, the creators behind Daredevil, the 2003 movie, have turned the tables completely with their film. The movie only received a seventy-eight percent on Google reviews, but I it definitely shines out to me, and I wanted to bring it back into the light.

The plot of the action movie is very alike any other, with the main character superhero and the happy ending. Although, however, it has a few tweaks intertwined into the storyline that make it great. Firstly, not only is Daredevil a mighty, masked superhero searching for justice, but he is completely blind. Sure, this is a disadvantage, but by being blinded by toxic waste as a kid, Daredevil (played by Ben Affleck; also known in the movie as Matt Murdock) has his other senses enhanced by a drastic amount.

Another reason crucial to the excitement of the film is that parts of another movie from the very early 2000’s, Elektra, are featured within the movie. Elektra herself, played by Jennifer Garner, is greatly involved with the plot of Daredevil. Briefly, Elektra is an assassin-for-hire who coincidentally runs into Matt Murdock in a neutral coffee shop, not knowing him. After a bit of conversation, they spar in a nearby alley in turn of events, later to discover each other’s true identities as Daredevil and Elektra. Like any Marvel movie, time moves forward and they gradually gain trust in one another, joining forces to fight against the ‘Kingpin’ and his employed assassin, Bullseye.

Daredevil peaked my interest mainly because of its uniqueness, featuring a blind lawyer who, in the night, roams the rooftops as a masked heroic figure like Batman. Now, I do not compare Daredevil to Batman in this way, but although Batman is a favorable classic, I would personally favor Daredevil as a movie I enjoyed more.

Josh Porter, Arts and Entertainment Writer

Josh Porter is a student enrolled at Trailside Middle School currently in 7th grade. As a journalist for the Trailside Times, he enjoys writing for the paper and writes other manuscripts. Last year, he took part in the musical last year for Trailside, Seussical Jr. He intends on doing this year’s musical as well, which will come to be the Little Mermaid. The musicals are yearly events, so Josh enjoys writing about the musical(s). Even though everyone is different normally, the thing that makes him unique is that he plays three sports year-round and is always busy with it. His passions include writing, sports and dance.

Favorite Sports Team: Pittsburgh Steelers
Favorite Author: Brandon Mull
Favorite Artist: Adam Levine