Templeton’s Terrors: The Boy In Striped Pajamas

Up above is the movie poster for The Boy In Striped Pajamas. The Boy In Striped Pajamas is a historical fiction.

Sara Templeton, Student Life Writer

We all recognize history with movies, books, and stories. We also see little boys as curious, reckless, and daring. This month these 2 will be combined into the movie, The Boy In Striped Pajamas. This movie is based on the 1941 tragedy named The Holocaust. The Holocaust was a genocide during World War II.

In this movie, a young boy (Bruno) is out exploring while he runs into a concentration camp. He meets a Jewish boy named Shmuel that was wearing ¨striped pajamas,¨ and the only thing that separates them is a fence. This fence does not stop them. Bruno brings food and games, but both kids never realize they are inside a concentration camp. This film is an inspiring, incredible, heart-rending story. The acting is mind-blowing and the script is staggering.

For now, let’s start with the acting. The acting of the boys is almost unbelievable. They act as they have been through this same scenario. I have to give some credit to people around them because they have to explain a tragedy such as the Holocaust to kids without scaring them. In the movie, the kids can make whoever is watching cry and laugh. The little boys play the perfect role of not knowing the truth, and also showing the suffering. I would have to say this is some of the best actings I have ever seen.

Here is a picture showing the separation of the two boys. Bruno originally thought Shmuel was in Striped Pajamas.

Leading into the next subject, emotion. This movie is based on an already emotional subject. This should be a very emotion filled movie that will tug on the student’s heartstrings. The acting and the script. What makes most of the movie so emotional is the script writing. The looks of the kids’ eyes, and coming to the realization that this really happened. The movie was a good way to share the information about what happened, but also giving some characters and scenarios that didn’t happen.

As I said before the script was breathtaking. The words were so descriptive, and the lines for the actors were perfect. Shmuel sounded upset, and like he was suffering. He was quiet but when he did speak he was intelligent. The script fits this scene better than anything else would. The plot was based off a piece of history, but it’s not that easy to create a deeper plot. By that, I mean the plot of the two little boys and what they go through. The plot of Bruno finding Shmuel and them becoming friends.

I think there were many takeaways from this movie. It was really entertaining to see how the characters grew, and to learn more about history in general. The acting was right on the spot, and the emotion and script were good at showing off the actor’s ability and good at really showing the viewers what happened. Overall I would rate this movie a 9/10 because some of the adults’ actings were off, but other than that I recommended this movie, but make sure you bring a box of tissues with you.

Sara Templeton, Student Life Writer

Sara Templeton is an 8th grader at Trailside Middle. She is a Student Life Writer for Trailside Times. She is a very passionate athlete who competes in Soccer. She hopes to go to William and Mary and then pursue her future in law enforcement. She absolutely loves pasta but will eat anything. Her favorite football team is the Dallas Cowboys. Her favorite movie is 10 Things I Hate About You. Her favorite class is English but a close second is PE. One thing that makes her unique is she enjoys to work out, it is also one of her favorite hobbies.