Cluster Concert

Back to Article
Back to Article

Cluster Concert

Students practice their songs before the big concert. Students had to come two hours earlier than the actual concert.

Elspeth Johanson

Elspeth Johanson

Elspeth Johanson

Five bands. Countless songs. One big performance. What is this, you may be asking? It’s the Cluster Concert, which took place on March 28th. The cluster concert was formed by teams of bands, each representing their own school. The bands included the Cedar Lane chorus, the Belmont Station chorus, Trailside chorus, jazz band, guitar, and orchestra, and Stone Bridge’s Jazz Band. Every band performed their own song.

The cluster concert has been a long-going tradition in Ashburn. Many bands come together, from different schools at different schools every year. The location changes every year. The concert is usually held every year in early spring to give each school time to practice. However, the concert wasn’t the only thing that was showcased. There were also pieces of art by students from different schools. Everything about this night showed how talented students are.

Elspeth Johanson
The Trailside Jazz band performs a jazz rendition of the Sesame Street theme song. They have been practicing this piece since January.

This is Me from The Greatest Showman combined song was good, and I liked the Queen medley from the elementary school, as well as the Lady Gaga songs from the HS orchestra. I also really like the Jazz Band pieces: Sesame Street and Very Superstitious,” said eighth-grade violist, Salonee Verma. This year there was a collaborative piece, “This Is Me” from The Greatest Showman,

Students at Trailside had varied opinions on the concert. Trailside student Wesley King said “The effort and time we put into this was well worth the wait. This was fantastic!” others like eighth-grader Zoya Rahman couldn’t say much because they weren’t at the concert. The unfortunate fact is that not many people visited the concert unless they had siblings or were very close friends to go for it.

Next year, the folks who run the show will have a big audience. As middle schoolers, one concert isn’t a big deal, especially if you aren’t performing. There’s one thing for sure, if they want a bigger audience, they will have to advertise a bit more because as Rahman said, she didn’t know about the concert until the same day. These are some things that the cluster concert can improve on.

Still, the concert required much effort and time. There were many people who loved it. Dania Ansari, an eighth grader in the chorus, “I loved singing with everyone else. The Greatest Showman sounded really good!”. Many people were proud of the students. The cluster concert showed that students learned a lot in their music classes.