Public School VS. Private School: Differences and similarities

Back to Article
Back to Article

Transportation is a big difference in Public and Private school. Busses are usually unavailable to students in  private school.

Transportation is a big difference in Public and Private school. Busses are usually unavailable to students in private school.

Emory Ellis

Emory Ellis

Emory Ellis

Emory Ellis and Eva Lanham

Whether it’s a uniform you have to wear or the tuition you have to pay, private schools are very different from public schools. Many students in public school do not understand what is different in private schools, and the reverse is true for students in private school. This is because they don’t have the perspective of going to both. However, some students and teachers here at Trailside have experienced both types of schools,  and share a unique perspective. They have a good understanding of how both types of schools work, and the differences and similarities between them. 

Public and private school are different in ways you wouldn’t even consider unless you have experienced both. Public school is dealing with a lot more kids, so of course, it won’t be as strict to the kids themselves and often punishments tend to be a lot more lenient. “At Saint Theresa (a private school that is close to Trailside) I was once yelled at for forgetting to charge my Chromebook, but at Trailside if you forget to charge it, I feel like they are a lot more understanding,” says Corie Jahr, a seventh grader here at TMS. Private school also has a lot more homework, which can help to give kids a better understanding of the material. More often than not, kids would be super stressed and very overwhelmed because of the workload. “I would come home crying sometimes because of how much homework I had, and I had to miss a volleyball tournament to try to learn the math that wasn’t taught on my own,” says Maria Vandermeulen, who is also a seventh-grader at TMS.

Emory Ellis
Trailside Middle school is a public school in Loudoun County. Trailside has approximately 1,200 students, which is a lot more students then a private school would usually have.

Once you have been going to a private school for five or six years, you get very close to your peers and become friends with almost all of them because of how well you know them. In public school, your peers and classmates change constantly because of class schedules or re-zoning, and many times you aren’t with the same people going from elementary school to middle school. “ I feel like I can talk to anyone at any time at Saint Theresa because of how close I have gotten to everyone,” says Brinda Deangelis-Santiago, a seventh-grader at St. Theresa. That also means, however, that if you don’t like someone or something that is happening, you are stuck for the next few years.

This is the symbol of St. Theresa, a private school in Loudoun County. This school has a very small amount of students compared to Trailside.

There are a reasonable amount of people here at Trailside who have been to private school. Not only are there students who have been to private schools, but there are also teachers who have taught in private schools. Most of these people think that public and private school are very different in the way they do things. Some think that private school is better, and some think the public school is better. There are pros and cons for both teachers and students.

Public School and Private school are very different in the way they teach, prepare students for high school, and discipline. Because they have very different ways of doing things, they both are better than the other in different ways. Both types of schools have positive features that students and teachers can enjoy.