Templeton Terrors: Ten Things I Hate About You

Above is the featured movie poster for Ten Things I Hate About You. The movie adds a funny theme to romance and Shakespeare.

Sara Templeton, Student Life Writer

This month of April means spring, which means rainy days. Rainy days inside means more time to watch movies. One rainy day movie I suggest the movie is 10 Things I Hate About You. The movie is a hilarious romance based off of Shakespeare’s play, The Taming Of The Shrew. The movie showed that a film as cliche as this could be the funniest thing I have seen. The comedy was funny, but everything else kind of shifted through the movie.

The acting was a little over average for a 1999 movie. It didn’t show much emotion, and Julia Stiles character was supposedly a rule breaker, and edgy. But the way she acts comes off as an annoying teenager who no one wants to be around. I will have to say that Larisa Oleynik´s acting was very good, as her character was a preppy, popular teenage girl. Heath Ledger’s acting came off almost the same as Julia Stiles. He was supposed to be this edgy guy but just comes off as a jerk.

The plot is a hit or miss situation. Some people don’t enjoy cheesy, teen, romance movies. Fortunately, I am not one of those people. I enjoyed the movie very much because of the cheesy plot and comedy. As bad as the plot sounds, once you watch the movie some of it just all comes together. The plot is definitely one that I am wowed by, especially because it is the least original one I have heard of, but I do give credit to the makers of it. The movie started good, but throughout it got boring and predictable.

All blame for the characters can’t just go to the actors. Most of it should be the script. I can see what the writers tried to do, but they missed by a mile. The angle that was meant to be taken was a cliche romance with 2 teenagers that have a hard shell. The only thing that can break that shell is the other person. It was a great idea for the heartwarming and touching part, and the movie was so close to completing their goal and the angle that they wanted to take. Overall the dialogues of the characters could have been a lot better. But any viewer who is watching this now should definitely consider the fact it was made in 1999.

I will have to say this movie is hilarious. Behind all the bad parts of the movie, the comedy is shown. It has a way of getting to some adults and teens. The jokes were cheesy at points, but as the movie continues, it becomes one of the funniest movies I’ve seen. The most credit for this movie has to go to the humor.

As things started to shift throughout, the movie got a lot better. The humor made me laugh out loud many times, the acting could have been better, and last the script wasn’t the best. The movie for me was a 6/10 because even though it hasn’t been the best experience, the humor was brilliant.

Up above is a scene from the film.  This is one of many references in the film to Shakespeare’s The Taming of the Shrew.