Checking in on the 6th Graders

Back to Article
Back to Article

Checking in on the 6th Graders

6th graders are already starting to make their plans for the summer! They can’t wait for the beach and other fun activities they have planed!

Emily Hughes

Emily Hughes

Emily Hughes

Emily Hughes and Ryan Lingerfelt

It’s almost the end of the year,: students are getting ready for SOLs and summer plans, 6th graders have almost spent the whole year with Trailside. This will be the first year that these students will experience cleaning out and collecting the decorations from their lockers.

Jamie Smalls
6th grader Kimberley Domeneck is eager to leave Trailside for the summer! She is holding up a sign that says “It’s almost the end of the school year!”   She can’t wait to hang out with friends and go to the pool and do other fun activities.

6th graders at the beginning of the year generally agreed that being in middle school was hard to adjust to, but now it seems they’ve gotten the hang of it. A counselor for 6th grade, Ms. Joseph, stated that “They are much more comfortable and confident then they were at the beginning of the year.”

Most students seemed to enjoy middle school more than in elementary school. But 6th grader  Kimberley Domeneck disagrees with this statement. “I think that elementary school is way easier than middle school because there is less homework in elementary school”. They might’ve thought that going into a new building with new rules would’ve been a little intimidating Ms. Joseph, a 6th-grade counselor said: “Many students often tell me that it isn’t as scary as they thought it would be.”

The 6th graders aren’t used to doing all the end of year stuff that comes in middle school. Things like packing up their locker decorations. They have mixed emotions about being excited for the summer and a little upset about leaving 6th grade.

Emily Hughes
Trailside student Ayla Shapiro is getting ready for the end of the school year. She is packing up all her belongings and putting her locker decorations away until next year.

Most of the 7th-grade teachers are looking forward and getting prepared to get new students. 7th-grade math teacher, Mr. Colaciello, is looking forward to seeing these students, “I actually teach some of the 6th graders now so I’m excited to see and teach more 6th-grade students next school year.”

Overall 6th graders are a little bit upset that school is ending, but also are looking forward to summer to begin already. Some are already arranging their summer plans. Some of the 6th graders have mixed emotions of being excited about 6th grade and being nervous.