Mother’s Day

Back to Article
Back to Article

Mother’s Day

Mother's day is known for the gifting of flowers. Spring is often called the season of flowers.

As the 12th approaches, some students and teachers here at Trailside will be taking time off to celebrate Mother’s Day. Mother’s Day is a holiday celebrating mothers, motherhood, and maternal bonds. Whether someone’s celebrations are extravagant or simple, here at Trailside people celebrate in many different ways.

Mother’s day was invented by a woman named Anna Jarvis. After the death of her mother, Jarvis set out on an expedition to make sure everybody’s mother got the respect and recognition she believed they deserve. While Jarvis started her holiday with good intentions, companies soon took her holiday to overcharge common gifts. Jarvis eventually went on to start protesting against her own holiday. Eventually, these protests got her in prison for public disturbances.

Mother’s day bouquets out for sale. Flowers are gifted to Mothers on Mother’s day as they are known as signs of life and fertility.

While Jarvis might have gone on to hate her creation, students at Trailside will be choosing to spend the 12th celebrating their mothers, as she wanted. “For mother’s day, my family typically goes out to dinner at some restaurant that my mom picks out. After my family goes to dinner, then we open up a few presents that we got for my mom,” said 8th-grader Anne Treadwell. Other students tend to spend Mother’s day in similar ways to Treadwell. “I give presents, flowers, and cards to my mom. I usually treat my mom and let her lay back,” said the 8th-grader Ezekiel Wimbush, “I do all of her chores. It’s just the right thing to do for such a great mom!”

Buying your mother flowers or chocolate or taking them out to eat is how most tend to spend Mother’s days. However, instead of spending mother’s day with their mom, some celebrate doing the opposite. “Every Mother’s day my mom spends the day with her sister far away from us. She gets a day off as a mom as her gift” said eighth-grader El Stephens.

Heaven Reath
7th-grade students Emory Ellis (left) and Gabriella Flamish (right) show their appreciation for their mothers. Mother’s Day is celebrated all across America on May 12th.

Even as people age and move away from their families, most still make the effort to celebrate Mother’s day with their moms.“[My family] used to celebrate Mother’s Day with all our cousins and our friends, but then as we grew up, they just got away from us. Now, I just go to lunch with my mom in Pennsylvania,” said 7th grade English teacher, Mrs. Leja. While distance may make that a difficult task, many adults still try to make the effort. “I hopefully plan on visiting my mom, because I haven’t seen her in person for a while,” said Communications teacher, Mr. Hallinan.

Here at Trailside, the majority of people will be spending the 12th of May celebrating Mother’s’ Day. Whether that entitles spending the day with your mom or giving her alone time, student’s and teachers alike have plans for the holiday. While the 12th of May is set aside to celebrate mothers, remember, nothing is stopping anyone from showing their appreciation for their mom every day.