Ask Timber – stress

Tina Mai, Writer and editor

Dear Timber,

I’ve been dealing with stress a lot lately. The SOL’s are coming up and I really want to pass but it’s really making me nervous. I don’t want to be the only kid in school that doesn’t pass. Do you have any advice?

-Sincerely,

Stressed out

———————————–

Dear Stressed,

The first thing you need to do is stay positive, it’ll help you improve your performance and it’ll help refocus your brain’s attention. It is hard to think that you really can’t study for it, but be ready for it. “When we train ourselves to think about what is good, what is working, what we do know, and stay in our positive self then we can impact how we feel,” explained Mrs. Slowey-Brown.

There are a few ways of helping you get rid or lower your stress rate. Watch relaxing, off topic and fun videos to get your mind off the cause of your stress for a while.

“I usually just go outside and either go jump on my trampoline or play basketball,” Dylan Hundertmark said.

Another suggestion, is to make sure you can get plenty of sleep– get your 8 hours in! Get involved in physical activity, which will get your mind off of the stress. Manage your time, and plan ahead so you know what to do. Things that are simple as that may help you manage your stress.

“Advice on how to deal with stress? Hmmmm, count to ten pace back and forth and tell yourself that everything is gonna be okay and plan ahead for future plans,” Gianna Cunningham suggested.

Always know your capacity for stress and take action before you become too stressed or you reach your limit. A lot of students can be perfectionists at times and get caught-up in every little detail. These students need to know that it’s okay for everything to not be perfect.

Stress can affect you cognitively, emotionally, physically, and behaviorally, and there are many signs of stress. For example, biting your nails, avoiding others, etc., can all be signs of stress.

“I tend to forget things and stutter,” Alayna Session said. It can even be serious like thinking and memory problems, pain, sleeping problems.

“I just get jittery and I can’t sit still and I start thinking about the worst possible situations and if I’m REALLY stressed I throw up,” Elizabeth Cohen stated. Know that is is completely normal to feel stressed at times. You really just need to focus on the tasks at hand in small chunks or manage your time as best you can.

So, try your best to take your mind off of it, relax, or go hang out with your friends.

Sincerely,

Timber

citations –

Happy, Live Life. “Don’t Stress. Do Your Best. Forget the Rest.” Flickr. Yahoo!, 29 May 2013. Web. 05 May 2017.