Behind the curtains: Aladdin’s stage crew

The+Stage+Crew+poses+for+the+camera.+This+was+the+first+production+for+many+students+working+behind+the+scenes.+
The Stage Crew poses for the camera. This was the first production for many students working behind the scenes.

Kaitlyn Easterling

Kaitlyn Easterling

Gina Gabrielli and Kaiylah Dade

Trailside Middle School presented this year’s school musical Aladdin. The classic Disney movie was great, but students set their sights on improving upon the original. Students expressed their excitement for all of their classmates who acted, but we were wondering more of what happened beyond the curtain. Here’s what we discovered about the behind the scenes action:

“Working backstage is a new experience for me,” said Haylie Miller. Many people who participated in the stage crew for Aladdin were open minded, and they wanted to see if it was something they might enjoy. Most of the students were new to working backstage.

“It’s really fun to work backstage,” says Ben Fremin, whose job was to work the spotlight. He wanted to try it out because his brother had tried it the year before and liked the experience.

Some students enjoyed doing it and trying something new, but some, like Amy Dajani, will not participate again.

“It takes up too much homework time for me,” Amy said. Haylie Miller had a different thought.

“I would do it again because I could try different jobs,” she was very open minded about the different choices for stage crew.

Andrew Kendrick loved the options as well.

“Last year was a lot of fun,” Andrew explained. The director is great and they are all so fun and nice, it’s just great,” he described of his time working on the stage crew.

“I like working backstage because I get to do it with my friends,” Kayla Papanastasiou, a set mover, said.

“I would work backstage instead of performing on stage because I have a little stage fright,” Andrew Kendrick, who works with the technology and works with the light boards said. “I also love working with technology,” he continued.

Stage crew works hard and gets the job done. Some people forget that there are others involved besides the actors and actresses performing. Stage crew made the magic happen. The students who participated in the backstage crew really liked their jobs. Many students said they were excited to do it next year. Good luck to all stage crew members!