Pizza battles in the FACS kitchen

Kayla Papanastasiou and Kelsey Ruiz show off their Chocolate Marshmallow Madness Pizza.

Larina Yu

Larina Yu

Larina Yu and Olivia Li

A tantalizing smell wafts through the school. Down a hallway, through a stairwell, and there it is. The FACS classroom, and PIZZA WARS!

Pizza Wars was an event for the 7th graders in FACS which lasted throughout the late days of April. The students in each class were put into teams and then compete with the other students to make the best pizza. They had to provide the ingredients and toppings themselves. The students could make any pizza they could dream of, however they had to complete their dish in the amount of time given. This fun activity was enjoyed by many kids, and also helped practice good cooking habits, teamwork, and time management. After they were finished making the pizzas, they were judged by teachers at Trailside. Some judges included Ms. Lowrey, Mr. Mitchell, and Mr. Colaciello.

A few days ago, there was a different war brewing in each FACS block, as many of you already know. Over the course of three days, a team of junior chefs each baked a delicious base for a pizza and decorated it with pizza sauce, cheese, and vegetables like peppers and mushrooms. Some other chefs however, followed a different path in the culinary forest choosing instead to make a more sweet rather than savory pizza, such as the “Chocolate Marshmallow Madness Pizza”, made in 7th block. Eventually, the pizzas would be sent to the judges table, where they battled for the title of “Best Pizza!” However, what went into the preparation of the pizzas?

Olivia Li
(Left to Right) Liam Murck, Charlie Sonneville, Josh Poore, and Luis Hernandez cut their Jack of All Trades Pizza. They were the winning group for third block. (Not pictured: Madeline Steele.)

Many students had set up little groups inside their classroom, and each contributed to constructing the pizza.

Taylor Bergen said making the pizza was her favorite part! “I liked cutting the ingredients like peppers, and making the toppings. My pizza was called the Meatalicious. But next time, I would have probably done something other than vegetables as a topping, like a s’mores or cookie pizza, because I love chocolate! Making a pizza was fun, but a little hard because our dough was liquidy and we had to work extra hard to make the pizza dough fluffy.”

Another student, Mariya Struts also made an interesting pizza. “My favorite pizzeria in real life is Papa Johns, since they sell my favorite pizza, Veggie Lover’s since I’m a vegetarian. My pizza was called “The Classic,” and I got the idea from Ms. Hassasian’s powerpoint, because there was an icon of a pizza on there, and we used that idea for the toppings and headed on from there. My favorite part about Pizza Wars was designing the logo for the pizza box.”

After the students made the pizzas, they presented their dishes to the judges, Mr. Colaciello, Mr. Mitchell, and Ms. Lowrey. Many seventh graders took to the extremes to try and secure the win.

Miranda Archibald, said that “[Her] team was praying, we were splashing water, and doing this crazy ritual to try and make our pizza win!” Finally, the teams competed, and enjoyed their dish. The blocks ended with happy memories of creating and enjoying a delicious pizza.

Evelyn Jones, Kendall Rock, Kathryn Cassidy, and Miranda Archibald work on carefully cutting their pizza and then arrange the slices on a plate for the judges. After they get judged, they can eat.