Traveling tales: Student studies in Tokyo for the year

Campbell Osborne and Sadie Downing pose in front of a Japanese movie theatre. Sadie spent the entire school year in Japan and Campbell got to visit her over spring break.

Courtesy of Campbell Osborne

Courtesy of Campbell Osborne

Campbell Osborne, Writer

What if you could travel anywhere you’d like? Where would you go? Well, my friend had once in a lifetime chance to go to Japan. Sadie Downing, once a student at Trailside, got a chance to travel to Japan and attend an international school. I asked her about her experiences and had the chance to visit her over spring break this year.

What’s school like for Sadie?

“I go to Tokyo International School. It’s small and surrounded by buildings. Not where you’d expect a school to be,” Sadie explained. “I don’t go to a Japanese public school, but an international school, which is small, with people from all races. My class has 11 people, and my grade has 23!”

While I was in Japan visiting her, we went to some crazy places and got to try crazy things, such as beef tongue! What else has Sadie tried?

“Eating beef tongue, fishing for dinner at a restaurant, buying food from a vending machine that’s hot… not really? Yeah, all of the above,” Sadie said. We went to a cafe that had a band with 48 girls; we ate a cold pork ramen bowl with a boiled egg shaped like a bunny, and Sadie had spicy beef curry with a rice bunny on top.

A pork ramen dish with hard-boiled egg atop.

While we were in the train station we found a bunch of vending machines with toys. We spent about fifteen minutes just getting toys.

The best thing about going to Japan was seeing the cherry blossom trees. They were so pretty and smelled good. 

Campbell Osborne
Cherry blossom trees are everywhere in Japan. The domestic trees smelled quite good.

We also went to a huge arcade with a Space Invaders character on the front of the building. You could win prizes ranging from tiny toys. While you’re walking around, you can find a ton of arcades anywhere and everywhere.  We tried so many different games. I had so much fun in Japan, and it was so nice to see Sadie again.

1 Comment

One Response to “Traveling tales: Student studies in Tokyo for the year”

1. Kelly Poland on August 31st, 2017 9:12 am

Campbell,

I enjoyed reading your article and your interview with Sadie. I learned new things from the article. I am glad you and Sadie were able to have this amazing adventure. I know you have many more in store for you both. Well done!

[Reply]

• Extras

Application Review: Canva

• Traveling tales: Student studies in Tokyo for the year

Student Life

Students Meet Up Weekly to Support School

Features

The Impact of The IMPACK Awards

Student Life

Fall Clubs are Back in Business!

News

Looking Back on Spirit Week

News

Ipad Identity Theft; How to stop it

Kittelson’s Krafty Korner- DIY Minnie Mouse Halloween Costume

Blogs

NBA Opening Week Review

Food/Travel

Max’s Kitchen : Cinnamon Bow Knots!

Destiny 2 Review