Writing Around the School

Samantha Yearwood is hard at work with her book Golden Disbeliever. She is currently doing chapter one during her resource.

Delia Kumar, Writer

Writing can be in different shapes and forms, like me typing on a computer for you to read this, a comment on a social media post, writing a short answer to a test, making a quick note, or blogging. These are just a few, but think of how much you write each day.

The members of the Humans Of Loudon book
Discussing what they need to work on. You
might expect it to be busy with laptops and
IPads, but it is really laid back.

Humans of Loudoun is one version of writing within our school.  The seventh grade English classes did this project based on the book Humans of New York by Brandon Stanton over winter break.  Now a book was our next step.  

“It’s fun to work with other people together and hear all their ideas.  There are 14 people and we all have different ideas and it is fun to mash them together into one big book,” said Lea Sapatka, “it will be an amazing final product from the English department.”

Writing is something easy and simple to do.  Emily Hansen’s favorite part about writing is “when I make humor out of it and make it funny with funny personalities.”  Emily even has a character based on herself, Wolfy with a personality like hers. She takes pride in her writing, that’s why she “gets a few people check it and look it over” and that is what we do to the Trailside Times stories.  

A great source of writing inspiration are quotes.  “ You never have thought of those ideas without quotes,” said Emily.  “Artistic ability” is what inspires Sasha Pusloskie to write because, “I know  I’m creative so I’ll be able to create a story.” In short, it’s a motivation for Sasha.

One well known forms of writing are books.  “They have a lot of detail and are interesting,” said Sasha.  A student at Trailside is writing a book called Golden Disbeliever that is a “realistic fiction and a mystery.  It’s about a kidnapping in England,” said Samantha Yearwood.            

Most stories she has read had taken place in America so she wanted to change it up and have I based in England and thought that would be really cool.  “I’ve always have had an interest in writing books and I loose track of time and don’t finish it.  So I’m going to start this book and finish it to pursue it.”  No matter how much Samantha loves to write,  she wants to do something else with her life.  She will feel accomplished if Golden Disbeliever gets published and Samantha just wants to get one book published in her life, and who knows if it will be the next big book.
Think of some forms of writing you see.  Spoiler alert, there’s way more than you think.  

If you are going to write a book, movie, an important document, or your teacher lesson plans write what will inspire you sometimes, not what others want.  I don’t want to be a journalist for most of my life, but I love the experience I got.  My challenge for you is to write about your dream last day of school.  Thank you so much for reading my writing and have a great summer.